Fly Fusion Forums

Poacher On The Bow

Early Saturday morning I floated from Glenmore to Fish Creek. About 1 km upstream of the Fish Creek launch I saw a guy fishing from shore with what looked to be 2 rods. Sure enough as we go closer my fishing partners and I confirmed he was. A few more seconds go by and sure as *hit this guy reels one in. Looked to be about a 20-22" brown. He drags it right up onto the rocks. While its still on the end of the hook he drops it numerous times on the rocks. He finally gets a hold of it and blood is everywhere. He gets the hook out (also looked like he was fishing with bait) and takes a lonngggggggg look at us before throwing it on the rocks beside his bag. He then proceeds to continue fishing like nothing happened...and like nobody saw him.

We immediately get on the horn and call R-A-P. The fish and game officer calls us back a few minutes later asking for more details and says he's on route, but we didn't hear anything back after that. Does anyone know if they normally call you back after the fact? I am just gutted by what I saw....I honestly cant stop thinking about it. Took everything we had not to take the law into our own hands. I was, and still am furious. I really want to know if they got him or not.

• Like 1

Yes they got him and his wife. I watched the bust from across the river.

Most of the "poaching" is usually just people who don't know any better and come from a culture of eating their catch. For the majority of anglers in the world, catch and release is a bizarre concept. I try and have a friendly talk with people I see fishing with bait or attempting to keep fish and educate them to the reasons behind the C&R laws. If they get hostile or continue fishing, I call it in. I've handed out plenty of SJW's, leeches and bobbers over the years.

Yes I agree....a lot of it does boil down to education, and it's too bad that the example has to be learned the hard way sometimes. I commend you for helping people learn!!

Still, ignorance is not an excuse. What kind of punishment would they face?

• Like 1

Likely a written warning for bait fishing and a fine for each retained fish unless he had a previous fisheries violation.

He had a fishing license as I saw him hand it too the CO. The CO filmed him before making his appearance. Then they all headed back to the parking lot to do the paperwork.

• Like 1

Likely a written warning for bait fishing and a fine for each retained fish unless he had a previous fisheries violation.

He had a fishing license as I saw him hand it too the CO. The CO filmed him before making his appearance. Then they all headed back to the parking lot to do the paperwork.

Well thanks for the info. Hopefully the lesson has been learned.

It doesn't help when some places are selling a license, and do not have regulations. I know they are also on the net, but many do not, or don't wwant to print them out.

Agreed....IMO they should have a "quick sheet" of the regs of the bodies of water around Calgary if the angler says they are going in and around the city!

• Like 3

Might this not explain the 2 rods? Like many here, I'm just jumping to my own conclusion. :smootch:

Both bait rods were set on forked sticks. The man was the only one sitting near them, occasionally working the rods by reeling in any slack in the line and checking his bait. The lady with him was just hanging around 15'-20' away. He was the only one I saw "fishing" the two bait rods.

It would be nice if salesman reminded their customers about bait bans on the Bow...

Thing is that a lot of people are going to Walmart or Canadian Tire to buy this stuff. The high school kid working in the sporting goods section making minimum wage either doesn't know or doesn't care and the cashier at the front probably has no idea. The onus is always on the individual to know the rules.

• Like 4

I think that they should have signs like they do along the Highwood and other rivers that give a brief breakdown of the regulations.

Bow River Chapter of TU has been working on this for a little while now. We were told to sit tight until the updated regs came out for the Bow. Now that those regs are in place, we should have an easier time getting some signage sponsored and major access points along the river.

• Like 4