Fly Fusion Forums

Lost (And Found) Rod On Old Man By Falls Parking Spot

Good Day Everyone.

This was posted on the Alberta Outdoor forum as well.

Please read.

Thanks. FHD

I am posting for a friend in need and to hopefully expose someone who took something that wasn't theirs and wishes to keep it et el "finders keepers".

Two weeks ago (approx.) my new friend left his rod close to the side of the road where he parked at the Old Man River Falls Area. At the time, there was one other car there as he left for the day. Upon unpacking, he discovered that he had left his rod by the side of the road. Flustered, he got back in his car and drove out to find a pile of rocks on the side of the road and a note that read "mike has your rod" and a phone number. He has tried to contact "Mike" left voicemail and texted him. Nadda. In reading the note it is assumed that "Mike" had a buddy that didn't think he should just keep the rod. Hence, the wording on the note. This person "Mike" is from Nisku found by reverse directory. All this man wants is his rod back. So, if anyone knows this person please implore him to return the property that is rightfully his. I encourage his friend who left the note to pressure him to return the rod and reel.

A more formal approach is being considered as we have his address and full name now which I will not publish for obvious reasons. So, Mike, if you are on this forum and reading this, I believe it would be in your best interests to answer your phone or text messages before this event is escalated to a point you may not like very much.

Anyone who has info on this may pm me on my new friends behalf.

In the meantime, the "lost rod and reel" was a Fenwick Atos 9', 5wt with an Ultralight DD reel.

Please help if you can. Someone MUST know "Mike from Nisku" as it ain't a blooming metropolis and we both thank you for reading this and hope to get his rightful property back in his hand before possible RCMP involvement.

FHD

• 1 month later...

Update:

So after many calls and texts to "Mike", my friend decide to call the RCMP to see what they could do. The constable called "Mike" and of course he didn't answer and it went to voicemail.

Lo and behold shortly after the Constable left the message, "Mike" called my friend saying he had his fishing rod and apologized as he had been away for 6 weeks. I find it strange that he knew my friends number to call as the Constable would not have left the info in the message and that everyone with a cell phone these days checks their messages at one time or another. (LIAR)"Mike" said he would be coming into to Calgary and would drop off his rod. They met and the guy walked up to him and said "here is your rod" got back into his truck and drove away with his two kids and wife in the car. So, Mr. "Mike" got caught in my eyes and was forced to return the rod.

So, all good but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth as to the values and ethics of "some" people. He probably got pissed at the guy that left the note. But, to that person who knew that Mike would try to keep what wasn't his, GOOD ON YOU SIR!

FHD   

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On ‎2017‎/‎08‎/‎01 at 2:34 PM, fishinhogdaddy said:

Good Day Everyone.

This was posted on the Alberta Outdoor forum as well.

Please read.

Thanks. FHD

I am posting for a friend in need and to hopefully expose someone who took something that wasn't theirs and wishes to keep it et el "finders keepers".

Two weeks ago (approx.) my new friend left his rod close to the side of the road where he parked at the Old Man River Falls Area. At the time, there was one other car there as he left for the day. Upon unpacking, he discovered that he had left his rod by the side of the road. Flustered, he got back in his car and drove out to find a pile of rocks on the side of the road and a note that read "mike has your rod" and a phone number. He has tried to contact "Mike" left voicemail and texted him. Nadda. In reading the note it is assumed that "Mike" had a buddy that didn't think he should just keep the rod. Hence, the wording on the note. This person "Mike" is from Nisku found by reverse directory. All this man wants is his rod back. So, if anyone knows this person please implore him to return the property that is rightfully his. I encourage his friend who left the note to pressure him to return the rod and reel.

A more formal approach is being considered as we have his address and full name now which I will not publish for obvious reasons. So, Mike, if you are on this forum and reading this, I believe it would be in your best interests to answer your phone or text messages before this event is escalated to a point you may not like very much.

Anyone who has info on this may pm me on my new friends behalf.

In the meantime, the "lost rod and reel" was a Fenwick Atos 9', 5wt with an Ultralight DD reel.

Please help if you can. Someone MUST know "Mike from Nisku" as it ain't a blooming metropolis and we both thank you for reading this and hope to get his rightful property back in his hand before possible RCMP involvement.

FHD

Bump.

More to this story.

During the time that my "friend" didn't have his rod, he had booked a guided trip in B.C. that he was going to cancel because he didn't have a rod. So, I told him he could use my 4wt.

Went out with my Son and fished a Central Alberta stream and upon finishing up, I must have caught my Sage tip on a tree while bush whacking. Found out on my next trip I had broken it. No problem, had my 4wt. Opened up my rod case and started to put the 4pc together when I noticed my 20lb butt section and my leader removed from the fly line loop. Okay.....

Once I put it all together I noticed multiple scratches on the reel and a wobble to the spool as if it had been dropped and left to vibrate in a truck box or something similar as paint was scratched off of it too. I guess I should have looked at the rod once it was returned but, who expects something like this?

I replace the butt, leader and go to cast....no drag and the line free-spools. Try to tighten up drag, nada. Take it apart and find a 6" section of what looks like grey poly tarp wound around the gears and one gear broken. BUT, he place my reel in bubble pack before zipping up my rod case. Gee thanks!

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt so I text him. Nothing. Since it's the wife of his I work with and she told me the story of his missing rod, that's how I got involved.

Two week pass and no response so I confront his wife here at work. She instantly gets her dander up once I show her my text to him and remarks, "he responded back". I said, "no" there is no answer on my phone from him. She's adamant and says she saw the text he sent and walks away! To date, I have not had a response and the woman avoids me now. Probably a good thing!

I spend a lot of time and energy on this mans issue and am now left with a 4wt reel that is usable but certainly not in the pristine condition it was in because I'd only used it a few times. It is what it is now.

I tried to go the "extra distance" for a fellow fisherman and got burnt.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

FHD

• Sad 1

FHD,  Very frustrating. Motivates a person to not be so trusting and generous. I have lost a rod, someone let go while casting, broke one, they closed a trunk on it, and many albums. None ever replaced. I do not loan any gear out anymore, but will share flies only. How about getting back into your video of adventures FHD. They are missed.  FL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Mike is the stone hearted criminal you suspect him to be I mean he did leave his name and number without him doing that your careless friend would've had to learn his lesson the hard way and even if the police called him he could've have said he didn't know anything about it you guys had no real proof I think Mike is actually a good guy . If it was my rod left behind I can guarantee my luck would've made sure there was no note.