Fly Fusion Forums

Question On Oars Just Looking For Some Insight

Vitalshok

I got a wooden 17 ft boat three months ago and took it out today it didn't come with oars but I bought some off the forum.They are cataract shafts with premiere diamond shape blades. The length is correct for the boat but it doesn't seem to react well to these blades.I had to work really hard to keep my self straight and to keep in control.Im just wondering if there just going to take some getting used to or am I possibly not pushing enough water with these blades for this big boat.If I need new blades what do you guys think would be the best for a monster wood boat.Also willing to trade blades if somebody wants to there indistructable lol thanks for your time and yes we did get fish even on our first float.Sorry I can post pics of the boat.Im just interested in people's opinion.

I used those blades once and didn't find them to be any different than my cataract blades except in shallow water they do perform a bit better. I would guess you just need to get used to the big boat. Weight of your hull will make a big difference, I just got an old alumaweld driftboat and it rows nicer than my Lavro or Hyde did because it is so much lighter.

Thanks for the help lots of summer left I'll keep plugging away it was ok I just thought maybe it could be better with different blades.No experience rowing a big wood drifter jay but lots of experience rowing..thanks again to both of you.

Thanks for all the tips again guys I appreciate it and I know it's a big boat but maybe different blades would change something in the reaction I'm going to order new blades over the winter and just deal with these for the summer.But if somebody is interested in a trade I'm all ears they do really well in the shallow stuff and are in excellent condition.cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought but possible going to a wooden oar would make a difference for u as the deflection in the oars themselves would give a little more power to move the boat. Match older tech with older tech. I built some wood oars for myself and they preform ands down better with my boat.