Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout In The Bow River

I've never seen one, but I wouldn't doubt they are there. I remember reading a paper a while ago where a bully was captured and tagged in the Castle one year and then caught again in the upper Oldman the following year. I don't know what motivates them to do so, but they can apparently travel quite a distance within a drainage if they so choose.

I've never seen one, but I wouldn't doubt they are there. I remember reading a paper a while ago where a bully was captured and tagged in the Castle one year and then caught again in the upper Oldman the following year. I don't know what motivates them to do so, but they can apparently travel quite a distance within a drainage if they so choose.

Yeah they do same thing on the kootenay river drainage.

• Like 1

They are extremely rare. I have caught 2 in my whole life on the bow. The one I got last year in Edworthy Park went 23 inches, and fought longer and stronger than any Brown I ever caught. Very memorable experience, especially since it will likely never happen again for me on the Bow.

Well considering the sheep (eventually) and highwood both flow into the bow and everyone pounds the piss out of those for bulls its no wonder theres some. Surprised that no one really tries to target them at the highwood confluence in early spring. Best chance to intercept fish over wintering before moving up for the late spring/summer.

I would reckon there's more of them than most of you think.

• Like 2

I got a real good one about 6 years ago below police , maybe 7-8 lbs . Super fat and ate a purple chronie. A nice guy came from across river in my bros old boat and took a pic for me.

Super happy with that one, a real surprise for me.

That was a great fish eagleflyfisher. I took the picture for you.

Dean

So with the Bow River water temperatures getting pretty high, and yet another hot day today, I thought it would be good karma to post a photo from much colder waters some time ago. My only Bull Trout landed on the Bow.

post-1695-0-47951100-1501195701_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So with the Bow River water temperatures getting pretty high, and yet another hot day today, I thought it would be good karma to post a photo from much colder waters some time ago. My only Bull Trout landed on the Bow.

wowzers