Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Access Plan

At the very least I'm pleased that there is an appetite to do access right. Doing it right doesn't always mean doing it more. Access points need to have the right supporting infrastructure in place. I wouldn't want to see more access if it meant we were going to get more McKinnon Flats.

Yeah, I agree. Compared to the City of Calgary access plan this is fairly timid. I urged them to be aggressive about improving Police and Mackinnons, and to do much more to identify potential access sites around the Highwood confluence.

My feedback was that a launch between police and Mac would be welcome, but that generally I thought the plan seemed pretty good. I'm not sure I like the idea of removing the entire rock berm at police - it's really just the boulders at the end of it that are the hazard - the rest provides a calm launch bay for staging/setup...

• Like 1

The scope of the Bow River Access Plan was always the address the existing river access sites downstream of Calgary.

On page 12; "Potential Future Sites" It does indicate that new sites will be assessed over the next 3 -5 years. Firstly as a replacement of Policeman's but new boats launch sites at intermediate points later.

The fishing community needs to get behind this initiative.If overwhelming support is received through the engagement process we can expect to see the province receptive to broadening the scope to more of a "Bow River Basin Recreational Management Plan"

On page 11; Site Design, Monitoring & Follow Up. There is reference to monitoring the river to assure a sustainable fishery. This would indicate that fish population surveys may become a regular event.

On page 12; "Potential Future Sites" It does indicate that new sites will be assessed over the next 3 -5 years. Firstly as a replacement of Policeman's but new boats launch sites at intermediate points later.

3-5 years to look, another 2 for environmental approvals, 4 more for funding, and suddenly it's 2025 and we're all fishing for pike out of bass boats.

I get it, this is a pretty big step for us to even get this far, and I was pro-plan when I did the survey, however this doesn't feel like enough for me.

3-5 years to look, another 2 for environmental approvals, 4 more for funding, and suddenly it's 2025 and we're all fishing for pike out of bass boats.I get it, this is a pretty big step for us to even get this far, and I was pro-plan when I did the survey, however this doesn't feel like enough for me.

Naw, we'll be fishing for miniature perch outta tinnes..

The increase in opportunities is the Rocky area is increased by the Govt allowing illegal perch stocks to be kept.

Don

People want jet boats off the river. Ill trade mine in as soon as they put a couple more launches between police and Mac. As it stands now the only way for me to get a float in after work is to have a boat with power. Drift boat is a far better tool for the Bow however i would never use it with our limited access. I hope access is improved.

• Like 5