Fly Fusion Forums

River Flows Everywhere Dropping

Flow Forecasts out of Bearspaw are for 340 CMS today and 360 CMS by Wednesday. That's not a drop!!

It will hit 400 before too long. What is a surprise to many is the viability. Banff is still seeing less than 1 ft.

No stone fly fishing for at least 3 weeks

My interpretation of the drop was that it was a bit cooler the last few days. Peak flows lasts a couple weeks, not a few days (even though it's already felt like forever.)

If you look at the snowpacks, there is still a ton of water up there (high average) at most of the stations.

Amazes me how many people seem to have forgotten what runoff normally is! I know it's been a couple years, but June has long been a write off.. stoneflies on the Bow used to equal stampede week and cutties didn't start till July. We've been having a screwy river the last three years (let alone the flood)... excited for something 'normal'! Dear god let them look up again (or at least more consistently)

• Like 3

I was just going off what the charts were showing and there has been a steady decline at the higher elevations and on undammed rivers and creeks. I guess what you guys are saying is we will see another jump in the flows on undammed waters? I dont count dammed waters because they can blow them out whenever they want. Im talking about flows on uncontroled water do you think there will be another surge of water? or will the decline continue? ........... Bow river flows are down today.

As with the stone fly fishing i am not talking about just the dry fly fishing. I consider the whole cycle because for me the pre nymphing is just as awesome as the dry and as soon as she starts to drop and is the color of tea with 2 creams stone fly season for me is ON.

I'm with the the Cube. Im guessing the river is brown till at least month end. But the rain forecast for the weekend has decreased a lot, at least on the GFS model:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?mm5d2_pcp3+///3

I just returned from Oldman and tribs and it's high. The big rock in the middle of the Gap is more than half submerged. The tribs are high and fast but with a bit of visibility. The 14 day forecast for Crowsnest Pass is below seasonal temperatures (high 12-16) and rain showers. I wouldn't expect fishing on opening weekend. Maybe Stampede time......sigh!!

• Like 1