Fly Fusion Forums

Waders

murray

I'm in the market for a new pair of waders. At this point, I'm undecided between Reddingtons or Simms. I'm not willing to break the bank for a pair. I would like to hear some opinions on the PROS and CONS from your experience. Very unhappy with my last pair of Snowbee waders. Will not buy them again.

Owned both Simms and Reddingtons, would not hesitate to buy Reds again. Like Simms but the price of waders is getting silly.

I agree Lornce, my last pair were $400.00 and I might as well wrap a plastic bag around my legs, it would work just as well. I am leaning towards the Reddingtons

I bought Redingtons, less than a year old started leaking, sent away for warranty repair, couldn't replace, full money back, which went to a pair of Simms & love them. The Redingtons were nice, comfy, & great warranty, but not as tough as the Simms.

• Like 1

I bought Simms guide waders almost 10 years ago and theyre still going. I can't speak to their lower models, but simms has a reputation for quality. I take care of my gear, and tend to get a lot of life out of it. Another thing to consider is fit. I am a string bean, and with all their size options you can get ones that fit your shape. I will cough up the money for Simms when they need to be replaced. I know they had to lower their prices recently because they were getting really out of hand with the exchange rate. I know fish tales had some models on sale last time I was in.

• Like 1

I agree on the Orvis Waders. I have the convertible silver sonic which are pricey, but the fit is so comfy. My first pair wasbthe mid priced Orvis Silver Label, I believe they lasted me 4 or 5 seasons. Only ever had one pair of Reddingtons and they didn't even last one season. Simms are fantastic but definitely alot of dough.

When recommending waders, it would be helpful if Guys clarify what a season is to them. "I got 10 years out of mine." Well, if you fish out of a drift boat twice a year, that's not that impressive. Conversely, if you walk and wade (in your waders) 30 days a year, that's a different story.

• Like 3

Bron i absolutely agree, walking and wading is a totally different situation. I think most guys do a lot of walking though. I'm lucky to get 20 days a year in, hopefully, I'll get out more in the future.

Hey Murray, I would go with Simms.

I use the low end Simms Freestone. Fished for 2 seasons over 100 times, mostly wading. At the end of last season there was a seam coming apart and Simms sent me a new pair within a few weeks. Have never tried anything else so really cant comment on those. All I can really say is that the Simms customer service and guarantee is hard to beat.

• Like 1

I've had good luck so far with my Orvis Encounter waders after one season of moderate wading (more than 10, but probably less than 20 times in the water). No sign of any wear on them yet. They are a good entry level product, probably retailing for a little less than the Simms Freestone, but a little more than Redington lower end stuff. I fished with a fellow a couple years ago who had the Reds Crosswaters, and he said for the price he loved them; fished them a couple dozen times with no problems from what I recall him saying.

• Like 1

I've had a pair of G4Zs going on 4 or 5 years now (long enough that I can't remember exactly when I bought them). Way more days on the water per year than I can count and 99% walk and wade. Bow, spring creeks, and mountain streams so a fair amount of bushwacking. No leaks, no tears, though the gravel guards are looking a little worse for wear.

Having said that, this spring I bought a pair of Patagonia Rio Gallegos as my "no WD waders" and I like them better than the Simms for fit, features, and comfort. Can't speak to durability on them yet, but they were a couple hundred bucks less than comparable Simms.

I love my Simms but for the $$ not thanks i fish a lot and i can get 2 years no problems out of simms small manageable issues start to show up for year 3 and 4 and then somewhere in year 4 they go into the garbage. I tried out some Hodgman waders for the last 3 years and for the $$ Im way further ahead. Their new line up is awesome. To rub the bias of this. I have found that all the technology with major bands is pretty much the same now. Everyone is using basically the same seam tech and the multiple layers. I say find ones that have the best fit and good function. Warranty blah blah simms blah. Warranty is also the same with all the major labels. Im going on 2 seasons with a pair of Hodgman H5's they have been on 4 steelhead trips climbing through the bush and no problems yet.

• Like 1

I love my Simms but for the $$ not thanks i fish a lot and i can get 2 years no problems out of simms small manageable issues start to show up for year 3 and 4 and then somewhere in year 4 they go into the garbage. I tried out some Hodgman waders for the last 3 years and for the $$ Im way further ahead. Their new line up is awesome. To rub the bias of this. I have found that all the technology with major bands is pretty much the same now. Everyone is using basically the same seam tech and the multiple layers. I say find ones that have the best fit and good function. Warranty blah blah simms blah. Warranty is also the same with all the major labels. Im going on 2 seasons with a pair of Hodgman H5's they have been on 4 steelhead trips climbing through the bush and no problems yet.

Heretic! The simms crowd will froth at the bit over this. Just FYI, I have Orvis Silver Sonics. Love them as well, but they are on year 3, and the little problem phase. I'll get them through this year and go with something new. Maybe some Hodgman. Honestly, takes me back to my roots. Probably have owned more Hodgman waders than anything.

Murray Don't cheap out. You get what you pay for! Over 5 years of over 30 days walk and wade plus drift fishing on a pair of Simms G4Z. Only pin hole repairs. I've owned both Redingtons and (Older) Patagonias and I've had better longevity out of the Simms. Deb has had great life out of her Patagonias (but not as much wear out of them as I have had with mine). I also have a pair of the Simms Freestone pants. Definitely NOT the same quality of their "Made in the USA" goretex models!

Heretic! The simms crowd will froth at the bit over this. Just FYI, I have Orvis Silver Sonics. Love them as well, but they are on year 3, and the little problem phase. I'll get them through this year and go with something new. Maybe some Hodgman. Honestly, takes me back to my roots. Probably have owned more Hodgman waders than anything.

Not everyone who wears Simms joined the cult and drank the Kool Aid. Sometimes you just find something that works for you and stick with it. Now if this were an American forum people would probably be losing it because you're wearing waders that weren't made in 'Murica :lol:

When recommending waders, it would be helpful if Guys clarify what a season is to them. "I got 10 years out of mine." Well, if you fish out of a drift boat twice a year, that's not that impressive. Conversely, if you walk and wade (in your waders) 30 days a year, that's a different story.

Great point! All walk and wade 20+ days a year.

I've been using the Orvis SS guide model. The first pair didn't have the crotch seam sealed in the center and split...they were replaced. Second set has been very good with no issues. Approaching the end of second year. I sometimes get out and fish

• Like 1

I have reddingtons, bought them this year and have only put about 15 or so days on them but I really like them so far, we will see how they hold up. I would be willing to check out hodgmans new line up of waders, good price and they look well built but I can't say how they hold up.

All my fishing is walk and wade.

I've had two versions of the simms G4z's in recent years and both were fantastic. After about 100+ days and 3 years the first pair blew out at the seams. I spent $30 to send them back for warranty and they sent me back a brand new pair of the G4z's for free because the seams failed. It probably helped that I took care of those waders; dried them out, washed them occasionally, hung them in a dry room with no running motors, etc... The original purchase didn't break the bank either because I bought a closeout model for $500 in 2012. I could see it being hard to pony up for the full price, but still the new pair is going strong at 2 years and 30+ days per year of hiking and wading with only a handful of boat days mixed in.

One tip, be careful with the Simms asian made products as they aren't the same quality as the ones made in USA. If you're thinking of going asian made Simms, I'd say go asian made Redingtons.

Vhawk (not sure if he comes on here much anymore) has Patagonia Rio Gallegos waders. He loves them to death and they just replaced his old ones with failed seams for free as well.

Those Hodgmans do look nice!

• 3 weeks later...

I would go with Simms over Redingtons only because Simms will repair their product where as Redington will only replace within a year. Every pair of Redingtons I bought had to be warrantied within a year BUT they will only warranty once. If you get a new pair on warranty and blow them out in under a year they don't care and don't offer repairs.

I just bought the cheapest hodgman stocking foot waders I could find at a local shop. They were $140 and I overpaid but supported a local shop. I only have about 15 days on them so far. They are warrantied for a year and are a Canadian company distributed out of Calgary so turnaround should be quick if i do have any issues. If I get a year out of them I win, If I don't I will get a new pair of waders. Hodgman also make higher end stuff that is pretty slick looking but unless they offer repair after warranty expires I would go with Simms.

I have never had waders that failed from anything other than heavy use and design flaws. If I make a hole it is easy to fix, If the design is crap and seams blow out after 20-30 long days (redington sonic pro's twice) there is nothing I can do about it except lather in aquaseal and save up for another pair of waders. $140 hodgmans have the same warranty. I don't expect them to make it a year but time will tell.

• Like 1