Fly Fusion Forums

Hey all,

Been having some grief with the anchor system on my power drifter.

Have a Dierks set up, from the rowing seat reach foreward to grab rope out of cleat/ pully, from there the rope is run through a series of pulleys along side of boat to the bow. From the bow is the main pully, rope runs through and onto anchor.

When I got the boat in 2012 it had a cheaper dbl braid mooring line style of rope, 3/8"

Shortly after the rope would twist up on itself when pulling anchor up.

I bought a new better quality rope from glenmore sailboats 3/8 double braid.

No good still spun up.

That was about $75 for 75ft.

Purchased a new rope this time 1/2" and a Harkin swivelling pully to go in line before the anchor.

About $160 again.

Rope proved too large for pullys.

Switched back to the 3/8" even with fancy pully still spun up.

It spins up so bad you can't lift anchor.

So I'm using that softer nylon dbl braid rope you use to tie up your sailboat etc..

This may be my problem.

Other boat guys out there.. Anyone having this issue?

Think the biggest issue is that the rope is attached to a set point (assuming you're using the ez-pull system, with a pulley @ the anchor). It twists more in the water from what i've seen, so seems to go along with it.

I'm all about climbing ropes for it now. Even if they twist, they're still fine with running through the line, and you can get a decent one cheap from Calgary Climbing Centre (or at least used to be able to).

Also, are you coiling or looping your rope at the end of the day. Looping will add more twists unless you unloop it at the start of the day, versus coiling where the rope can come off straight

Thanks guys, no the rope isn't coiled just sits in a pile in bottom of boat.

I've had comments that if I made sure that the core of what ever rope I get ins straight/ linear with no twists that would help.

Also a harder rope with no stretch.

Kinda bites I've got a few hundred bucks in rope lol.

Going to check glenmore again for reference as they have a bunch of different.

I'll give some good consideration too climbing rope, hadn't thought that way.

I will also check what clacka is doing , thanks again, I know boring topic.

Dave

Get a hold of Taco, he found some static "climbing" type rope (used for rappelling and window washing, as opposed to dynamic - stretchy climbing rope). He might have a source. I think he bought an entire spool, if I remember correctly...

P

Static line source = MEC

Static line's core fibres have no twist or braid so almost zero stretch and no rope spin while loaded. However it is a stiffer rope to work with than the braided ropes.

• Like 1