Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boat Anchor

Quick question to those experienced with drift boats on the bow. I'm in need of an anchor, and am considering two options:

Option 1: 30lb pyramid anchor from fish tales. I know it will work just fine. $130

Option 2: 30lb "river anchor" http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-River-Anchor/product/45253/# it is $55

Option 2 is clearly cheaper, but I am leery to spend the money on something that wont really work only to then have to buy the anchor I know will work. Is option 2 an option at all?

Thanks!

Biggest thing people seem to forget for ability to stop a boat and hold a boat is length of rope. More rope the way better it holds, and far less likely to float away on ya!

Bit of a sneaky trick, if you need a new rope go to the Calgary Climbing Centre and ask for their used ropes... they'll sell you a dynamic rope for pretty cheap

• Like 4

Some other things to consider with rope etc:

-Larger diameter = greater amount of water friction

-Single or double rigged pull = Single line/less friction/less mechanical advantage, Double line/greater mechanical advantage/greater friction