Fly Fusion Forums

Rio Welded Loops

Yeah it's funny it hasn't been identified as a problem and fixed. I've always used rio and just figured it was me being hard on lines. My most recent line, extreme indicator ii, I bought last summer and the loop was giving me problems 5 trips ago. I fish a lot, but it was the first time it dawned on me that something's not right.

I suppose I'll try to find some shrink tubing and give that a whirl.

I have tried to solve this problem in a number of ways; welding new loops (works with varied success depending on the individual fly line materials), adding braided loops (look ugly, don't turn over as smoothly and often fail), nail knot directly to the line (have to clip off every time you change leaders). I finally settled on the solution below. 20-25 lb (the only weight range I have found that transfers turn over smoothly between fly line and leader) Maxima nail knotted to the fly line with a perfection loop tied in at the other end, 2 to 3 inches from the nail knot. I coat both knots with KnotSense to smooth out the knot, making it smoother to slip easily through the guides. This solution not only lasts for 2-3 years steady usage, but it is also dead simple and can be utilized immediately in the field, no waiting to get home to do the repair.

20170422_112310_zpspuvme8kl.jpg

• Like 3

I've used fold over nail knot in place way. Sturdy and pretty slick. If I recall I used tippet in 3x or so.

My preferred way now I think is saw on SFOTF. 20 lb amnesia nail or uni knotted on both ends to the line. Firm up against each other and glue. Pinch the end.

Years ago Gord Kennedy showed me how to make a loop by nail knotting some Maxima on to make the loop. Never had one fail and my nail knots suck.

http://midcurrent.com/knots/putting-a-loop-in-the-end-of-fly-line-with-two-nail-knots/

ya this is pretty damn strong. It holds saltwater fish all day, it will certainly do for trout

Bron, i've always just added a nail knot when i see the loop starting to fail. Definitely have seen a lot more of the RIO loops fail, especially on gear that is extremely dependent on their loops (MOW tips, for example)

By the time the loop is done don't you find there are so many issues with the lines that they are junk anyways, or sore you having loops break?

Almost all of my skagit heads have their loops toast, and are otherwise in fine shape. Too much dredging and pulling on bottom I guess... sticking to dries would help!

By the time the loop is done don't you find there are so many issues with the lines that they are junk anyways, or are you having loops break?

No, The line otherwise is essentially new. Bought it August of last summer if I recall correctly. If I had to guess, It's probably got 30ish days on it. The coating cracked and then started to peel back at the junction of the loop and mainline. Stress point I guess--one side is stiffer than the other, so it bends a lot at that point.

If it's not that issue is the mono from your perfection loop cutting into the coating and wrecking it.

I just took some 30lb maxima and did a nail knot and a perfection loop and then joined that to my 30lb butt section.

Haven't tried it yet, but looks nice anyhow.

• Like 1

I just make my own loops when needed. I use a razor blade to make a tapered cut in the end of the fly line fold it over and lay against your fly line. Than i take a strong fly tying thread and spiral rap the tapered part . Works great and you can still pull the loop through the rod guides if your lake fishing and using 15 to 20 foot long leaders.