Fly Fusion Forums

Odd Items Caught While Fishing

A member posted on Bow River conditions, that he caught a hammer fishing once. That lead me to say I have caught 2 rod and reel sets over the years with a streamer on the bottom, one on the Highwood and one on the Bow. Also caught a pair of runners my cousin wore for years. I have also lost a brand new set of prescription glasses.What are some of the odd items you members have hooked into over the years?

My first steelhead trip was to the Cowichan. Fished 5 days with 1 pull. One thing I did land was a rock, with a perfect hook-sized hole... man did that thing ever grab on and wake me up...Was quite the event pulling it in

- The dead pelican that was at the bottom end of the bleachers, that i thought was a new rock..

- many beavers (not landed)

• Like 1

Caught a dead beaver once when I was young streamer fishing thought I was snagged and couldn't get it loose so I walked out to get the fly out and looked into the water and all I saw was two big ass yellow teeth and a stupid looking face looking up at me.I cut the line and and ran home and had a hard time being in the water with my bare legs after that.I think I was around 12 years old.

• Like 4

I caught a duckling once. Momma duck took a couple snaps at me but chilled out very quickly chilled out as I held it to pop the hook out. Lucky for the duckling I was not streamer fishing that day.

Also caught a dead rotting pike - by the lip, no less - that would have been my biggest ever had it been alive.

Wasn't on the fly, but a fun time was had nonetheless. A few years ago we were mackerel fishing in PEI. One of the folks on the boat managed to get this tangled in their line, and we had a rather fine time landing it. It took about four of us to get it on board to cut the line. (Gannets make our gulls look like sparrows.) This guy looked perfectly unharmed after the ordeal; after the Cap'n let him go, he flew around for a few minutes but stayed close to the boat to wait for cleaning time.

38780_449423546293_5765349_n.jpg

fly rod with line fully out and when i reeled up the line there was a smallish very tired rainbow which i released. was a low end no name korean made fly rod. nonetheless i did call the fly shops to say i found it. had one call from someone looking for a sage that had fallen in the river.

caught a muskrat on a small leech pattern fishing Sibbald Meadow Pond quite a few years ago. Didn't see him around before he took it, but it was in his mouth. Was able to release him with pliers without touching him.

• Like 2

BCUBE! I caught a rock on the Vedder just last week! they do wake you up and fight pretty good.

-Gull

-Bat

-dead burbot (hooked in the mouth)

-my fingers (often)

Rickr hasn't posted but he hooked a Beaver one night swinging stones. He swears it was a fish but deep down he knows it was a beaver.

It wasn't an effing beaver! It was the king kong of brown trout. The dead burbot was beyond awesome. I have caught a stringer with 10 live speckled trout (saltwater fish) on it in the middle of nowhere Louisiana. Had a pelican fly into my cast, line wrapped around it's wing and hooked it's leg. That was interesting. Multiple seagulls. A swallow on a little creek.

• Like 1

It wasn't an effing beaver! It was the king kong of brown trout. The dead burbot was beyond awesome. I have caught a stringer with 10 live speckled trout (saltwater fish) on it in the middle of nowhere Louisiana. Had a pelican fly into my cast, line wrapped around it's wing and hooked it's leg. That was interesting. Multiple seagulls. A swallow on a little creek.

Is an Effing Beaver an American one?

• Like 1