Fly Fusion Forums

Mustad Hooks

BurningChrome

• 7 months later...

I generally tie on mustad as well. Hook selection at the shop really boils down to what ever brand has the gauge, size and shape I need.  They’re all sharp...or sharp enough. 

I haven’t had the same experience as the jensens yet.  But I’ve had an odd hook in a pack that clearly missed the heat treat.  Could bend it with ease in any position you wanted and it would hold it.  

The news doesn’t get me too worked up.

I've only ever had issues with the C49s hooks, in size 14 and smaller, but everything else has been fine for me. Most of the other mustard hooks I use are 2x strong and hold up just fine. It has been bad enough with the C49s that I have thrown out entire batches of nymphs in disgust after losing fish after fish on bent hooks without overly heavy pressure. I won't buy them again, as a few companies make a good curved pupa/shrimp hook. 

I had the same experience as TroutPanther. I started fly fishing/tying this year and bought mustads C49 as the price was good. I managed to hook into a nice sized trout that peeled my fly line right away and got me into the backing. Unfortunately after a couple minutes, the hook bent out. 

I probably won't use them in a size 16 or smaller anymore.