Fly Fusion Forums

Kijiji.....yeesh

Small rant warning: What's with kijiji buyers??

If there is a fly reel or rod fairly priced on kijiji for $275, why would you offer me $100???

Did they think I stole it and will dump it (even when it's priced at used market value)??

Or..... is their life so pathetic ,their hobby is sending lowball half price or less offers to kijiji sellers as sport?

Finally my favourite.....I have $100 (for your $275 fly reel) and I'll be there in an hour with cash.

That's right kijiji buyer, i stopped taking Visa and AMEX yesterday....Seriously dude? of course your coming with cash!!!

Rant over.

• Like 4

It's easy enough to put up an ad that says "$250 firm. No lower offers will be considered!" and if you get that call anyway, don't say a word, just hang up. You still sell it faster if you advertise on kijiji than if you don't advertise.

I once put an ad to give away my old washer and dryer. Stated first person to come pick them up gets them for free.

I was absolutely amazed how many replies I received saying that they will take them but only if I delivered them to their house.

Have listed other items and get several replies saying they can't afford the item but really want it and ask if I can give it to them for free.

There are all types on kijiji and everyone want something for nothing in return..

When your looking for stuff of kijji there's a few things to consider if your going to low ball something.-how many ads does the person have up are they desperate for money-how long has the item been up.-does the item say firm.I have no problem throwing a offer out there even if it's a low ball if it says firm don't bother but if it's been up for six weeks why not it can't hurt for trying the worst they can say is no and you say sorry for wasting your time.I have got some pretty sweet stuff on kijji using those tactics for cheap.

Thanks for the commentary. I have no problem entertaining considered/reasonable/near offers.

Offering 50% of the asking price is someone just being a timewaster.

I do think there is a Kijiji mindset that people want a deal. $250 firm gets far fewer replies than a $275 ask and we reach a negotiated deal at $250. Just my experiences anyways.

Sold a lot of stuff on kijiji over the years, appreciate the venue but feels like the lowball timewasters are starting to outnumber the serious buyers......

Thanks for the commentary. I have no problem entertaining considered/reasonable/near offers.

Offering 50% of the asking price is someone just being a timewaster.

I do think their is a kijiji mindset that people want a deal. $250 firm gets far fewer replies than a $275 ask and we reach a negotiated deal at $250. Just my experiences anyways.

Sold a lot of stuff on kijiji over the years, appreciate the venue but feels like the lowball timewasters are starting to outnumber the serious buyers......

Just waist their time by ignoring them.

That probably bugs them just as much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't matter if you put "price is firm" "no trades" "serious injuries only" Etc. Etc.......people will always try and lowball you....offer trades....and waist your time. Part of the kijiji game. I even put phone calls only so people are forced to call me.....you get way less inquiries but there from people that are actually interested.

• Like 1

I had one yesterday, I was interested a new tool that was listed.

Seemed like a decent price & in good shape.

Didn't offer any less than he was asking which was $100

He didn't have a ph no. So emailed him with plans to p/u if available .

He emails me back and said because there was a bunch of interest in his item he was raising the price to $130.

Kijijji yeeesh !

Dave,

I had a situation where I was going to purchase a pack and it was for asking price. Literally as I was getting in the car to leave to meet him, the guy texted me back and said someone offered him more so he was going to sell it to them! I guess someone's word means nothing these days, eh!!

I had one yesterday, I was interested a new tool that was listed. Seemed like a decent price & in good shape. Didn't offer any less than he was asking which was $100 He didn't have a ph no. So emailed him with plans to p/u if available . He emails me back and said because there was a bunch of interest in his item he was raising the price to $130. Kijijji yeeesh !

• Like 1

I find it is a good place to get rid of stuff. Put in the words free and people will jump all over it. I had a broken dishwasher and did not want to take it to the dump. Somebody was more than happy to take it even though it needed a new $400 pump. Maybe he wanted it for parts. Did the same thing with a 25 year old lawn mower that still worked. I was shocked by the number of calls and emails on that one. One man's trash is another man's treasure.