Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary Olympics 2026

Not to sway anyone's responses, but here was the general theme of my feedback:

- I'm not comfortable doing business with an organization as corrupt as the IOC. They keep saying all the right things about reform, but until I see it in practice, I'm not interested.

- The assurances that this will lead to economic growth have been debunked time and time again. Host cities have a tendency to overbuild facilities that are heavily underutilized once the games leave. Who pays for those operating costs? What happens when costs can't be recovered? Tax payers will be on the hook.

- Growth because of the Olympics is not strategic nor does it fit the long term vision of our city. Growth needs to be something that happens organically and should be a product of strategic policy from local government. Forcing development and growth into areas solely because of the Olympic games is not very forward looking.

• Like 4

The only way this is a good idea is if we can use existing facilities, even if it means spreading the games across the province, but I'm guessing that's very unlikely. And jpinkster makes an important point about the IOC: you won't find a more corrupt organization this side of FIFA. Look at this list of demands they made to Norway. There are some real gems:

• "Separate lanes should be created on all roads where IOC members will travel, which are not to be used by regular people or public transportation."
  • "IOC members shall be greeted with a smile when arriving at their hotel."
  • "The IOC members should have separate entrances and exits to and from the airport."
  • "They demand to meet the king prior to the opening ceremony. Afterwards, there shall be a cocktail reception. Drinks shall be paid for by the Royal Palace or the local organizing committee."

There are more, and they're all pretty ludicrous. The Norwegians told them to go pound sand, and now the 2022 Winter Olympics will be held in Beijing, whose only other competition was from Almaty, Kazakhstan.

• Like 2