Fly Fusion Forums

Thanks Lornce. The way I see it, you can always cut the handle down if it's too long. The Handles are 17" long and the entire thing is just short of 3 ft. It's been a fun little project, I'm up to 8 nets now with a couple more smaller, child size nets to come.

I wish I was retired and had the time to build nets!! :P

Peter, each net I've made already has a destination. 2 brothers, 1 brother in law, 2 friends and 3 grand daughters. Oh, and myself as well. It's been fun, I can tell you how to do it.
  • Like 1

Paul, the wood I used varied from oak, cherry, maple walnut, depending on what I had on hand. Lots of cherry and oak. As for steaming them, I didn't. Don't get me wrong, the original idea was to steam them, I just couldn't figure out how to do it so plan B came in to play..basically, I just soaked them in a trough, a 2X4 frame, lined with poly and then filled with hot water. I let them soak overnight.

The wood strips are only 1/8 " thick which helps to bend them. I force them around a form in the shape you see and clamp them in till they dry. After they're dry, take them out of the frame and glue them together. Back in the frame to dry. Three strips per net. Then the real work begins, sanding and making the handle. Probably close to 10 hours per net ut lots of down time waiting. Send me a PM if you want more detail. Are you in Calgary?

• Like 2

Well those look very nice. What a great way to use up some time. I don't collect butterflies, but you will be able to do it in style now :clap:
Actually Rob, the net I made for my Grand Daughter is a dual purpose net. It will be used as much for butterflies as it will be for fish.

Paul, the wood I used varied from oak, cherry, maple walnut, depending on what I had on hand. Lots of cherry and oak. As for steaming them, I didn't. Don't get me wrong, the original idea was to steam them, I just couldn't figure out how to do it so plan B came in to play..basically, I just soaked them in a trough, a 2X4 frame, lined with poly and then filled with hot water. I let them soak overnight.

The wood strips are only 1/8 " thick which helps to bend them. I force them around a form in the shape you see and clamp them in till they dry. After they're dry, take them out of the frame and glue them together. Back in the frame to dry. Three strips per net. Then the real work begins, sanding and making the handle. Probably close to 10 hours per net ut lots of down time waiting. Send me a PM if you want more detail. Are you in Calgary?

Thanks for that but I'm in Banff.

Bending Oak & Maple brave man they look great.

Paul

• Like 1

Here you go Murray, Beautiful work. Won't have to bend over as far for those Cutties.

image_zpsdhfuzdzh.jpeg

Silver doctor;The net on the left.I for one wish that these were more available.Easy peasey measure the fish,release without touching the fish Beautiful...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...