Fly Fusion Forums

Hardy Ultralite Asr

Foster

I have a couple of the Ultralite DD series and have used them for 3 or 4 years now. Overall a great reel, only con is the click system. It has completely worn away on one of the reels. Unfortunately the design is integral with the frame so no replaceable pieces. Other than that a solid reel.

Well thanks for posting! i thought for sure would have seen alot more comments.. oh well, Never had a hardy before. It should be pretty good on a 5wt sage flight?

I've got the old cartridge model - the Ultralight CLS I think it was called. The big benefit obviously was the included extra spools & cheap extras if you need them. I use it for my streamer stick and have a floating, heavy sink tip and medium sink rigged up on the three spools. It's a pretty cool system and the reel has been great the last two seasons. It's got a nice purr when a fish is on, but it's not a full on screamer like the hardy salmon reels.

One con is that given the wide arbor + cartridge design of the spools, I couldn't fit nearly as much backing as I wanted on (the sink tip lines pretty much filled the spool up by themselves). Meanwhile the floating line + backing fit perfectly. I ended up cutting off the back 20 feet of running line on my sink tips so that the spools weren't overloaded.

The size up from my model probably would have managed the sink tip lines better, but would have been heavier as well and probably would be overkill for the floating line.

All that to say think about what kind of lines you'll be using on the cartridges, and if so, have them all spooled up at the fly shop to ensure the reel will work for all your line applications.