Fly Fusion Forums

Cdn Fly In And Drive In Fishing Camps

Yup. I was up there a few years ago. I didn't know you were related Pete or we would have asked for a discount. :pray: Or not....

Cool place with many lakes to fish within minimal distance from the Lodge.

Also you could list Bolean Lake Lodge in Falkland BC.

Kind of scary drive up (10KM on switchbacks) but once on top of the plateau, it's realy beatiful with three lakes to fish and little pressure and nice sunsets. Went there on my honeymoon and continued to go every year for 15+ years. Probably learned the most about lake fishing there. Bolean- small size rainbows (<2lbs), Arthur Lake larger (<6lbs) and Spa (never fished it).

FHD

• Like 1

FHD, that Bolean looks pretty nice. What does the camping look like up there. Is pretty cheap but was wondering if the campsites were nice.

Yup. Beautiful place. Main lake Lodge has small cabins as you probably saw on their website. That's where we stayed. There is a small campground at the Lodge location but anywhere off the site is Crown land as the Lodge area is only 5 private acres on Bolean Lake. A small campground across the lake from the lodge is unserviced and there are unserviced primitive campgrounds at Spa and Arthur too. No cost to camp the Crown lands. Great place for quads, if that's your thing. 20kms around the lake. Easy to launch small boats, and some great hatches up there! Hit one year that there was a black ant hatch that lasted three days. The fishes stomachs were exploding with them!

If you are looking to go, drop me a line and I will provide you with info on what flies have worked for me up there for the various times during the spring and summer.

Cheers...FHD

Bolean lake is boat "friendly" so you can use what you wish all the way up to a ski boat. Launching can be done at the resort ($) or at the adjacent Crown campsite. It is fairly shallow in most areas and large gang trolls are really difficult to use. Being that it at the top of a plateau, storms can and do come in quickly so being diligent in watching the skies above the treeline is absolutely necessary.

As I said before though, it always been a wonderful place for our family. I have a picture on our fridge from when the kids were young (1 and 4) of them feeding the ducks. They always looked forward to the yearly trip. The last time we were there a few years back, my daughter was 21 and my son 24.

But, great memories over the years. I even won 2nd place in a fishing derby there once! Caught the fish ten feet off the dock! Great place to teach fly fishing to the kids as well.

Message me for more info if you like.

FHD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching Musky hunter the other day, they throw some big gear. I want a Musky on the fly.

Anyhow they were at Cedar Lake Ontario . Checked the camp online & pretty darn reasonable. 7 days, cabin with everything needed, boat & fuel $550/guy.ya got to get there though.

Have done Mikisew camps a bunch of times in Northern Alberta, pretty cost effective but they are no longer operating.

Have a lake in NWT I was at maybe 20 yrs ago and back then it was $1500. Today's rate $4500 US. Yeesh.

My brother did some exploring up around Lac la biche some time ago, can't remember name of the group of lakes , one was Touchwood.

Anyhow said there was some good exploring to be had, I think some cabins to rent.

For me when I do a fly in , I want pike & Lakers or salmon. Never really thought about going for trout.

• Like 1