Fly Fusion Forums

Running Line Discussion

jasonvilly

So I have had to buy a couple of running lines in the past year.

Both of them overtime developed the problem, where the PU covering started to come off of the core. These loops in the line could be straightened out, but would cause the line to wrinkle. Once this happened you could see and feel the difference in the ability of the line to shoot.

Both issues seemed to happen within the couple of days of use (both were airflo 30lb running lines)

Fish tales replaced one of them with a brand new one, and the other was lost on a rather hot coho on the skeena.

So I came across this article today, and wondering what your thoughts were:

http://epicwatersangling.com/blog/best-running-line-shooting-heads

The gist, if you dont want to read:

Berkley Trilene big game 40lb mono

Guy claims it floats better, doesnt tangle as much at your feet and shoots way better than any running line he has used.

Best is, 300yds will cost you $15, much cheaper than the airflow running lines, knots well.

The father in law uses it on his downriggers in Manitoba, and the stuff is tough. I will give it that.

Just looking to get dialed in for this summers Skeena trip.

Mono kinda makes makes me think it cut fingers. I don't know about other guys, but I keep my trigger finger on my line, punched against the cork to different degrees when I'm fighting fish. Skinny,slick mono seems like Itd be tricky to do.

I have airflo ridge on one rod and and an old floating line wth this head cut off for my other rod. The back end of a dry line doesn't tend to see much Day light, so once the head is cracked, I just repurpose it to become running line on the switch rod.

I can can cast as far as need to (maybe not as far as I want to) with them and most tangles are from poor running line management. When I'm not lazy, it doesn't tangle.

Slickshooter or bust. Seems like the same idea as this..Justin Miller is no hack, so i'd take his word on it

I've got 55 lb slickshooter on all my spey rigs. Never cut a finger, easy to manage, great feel for grabs.

I'd never go back to a traditional shooting line, despite being ever so slightly easier to handle.

If you're replacing shooting lines yearly, that should be pretty telling. I think i still have my original 55 lb slickshooter from like 4 or 5 years ago on there. And really, if it gets funky, just cut off a chunk and you're down to 100 feet instead

Looked up some info:

Slick shooter nylon 44lb
0.030" diameter
110ft
$15-20

I wonder what the coating is that it has?

Trilene big game 40lb
0.024"
990ft
$13

I too pinch my running line against the rod, so with a skinny diameter that might be an issue. Good point!

But at that price, it is worth a shot. If not I'll give it to the father in law for his down riggers.

I use the rio grip shooter. I have joint and pain issues with my hands and i find it easier to hold on the cork with my finger. I did have slick shooter but it kept slipping on the cast. I really haven't noticed a difference how it shoots its all the same to me but im a rookie so its probably an experience thing.

I use the rio grip shooter. I have joint and pain issues with my hands and i find it easier to hold on the cork with my finger. I did have slick shooter but it kept slipping on the cast. I really haven't noticed a difference how it shoots its all the same to me but im a rookie so its probably an experience thing.

A lot of guys use that plumber's tape that only sticks to itself. Can't remember what it's called, but it's sort of rubbery. Wrap it around your cork where you would normally pinch your running line and good to go. Haven't tried it myself but lots of guys on speypages swear by it.

For the running line itself, I like the Airflo ridge stuff in the winter and prefer OPST Lazar line over Slick Shooter when it's warmer. The Lazar line is more expensive but you also get twice as much on a spool. Just cut it in half and put it on two reels or keep half on the spool for when the first half wears out.

• Like 1

ya the self-amalgamating tape works well. I'm still surprised the number of guys that pinch their running line to their cork when swinging (even more so for when fighting fish).

I run the line through my trigger finger, that is off the cork so you can feel everything. The tension between that and the reel gives me really good sense of what's happening down under

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use Slickshooter, have some Gripshooter but haven't tried it yet. On cold days it is sometimes a bit hard with stiff fingers to hold your running line. and hard to pinch as it gets slippery. I was turned on to a trick by Bob Meiser. Wrap rubber tape around the grip. Don't use electrical tape but 3M rubber splicing tape, you can find it in plumbing supply stores, wrap it around and it sticks to itself, it dosn't have a sticky back adhesive to gum up your girp. Slip free casting even with frozen hands (or if you are like me a bit of arthritis). Like a little brake on your line.

• Like 1