Fly Fusion Forums

Light Needed For New Tying Table

angler

Picked this up (NB dropbox link) at a local thrift shop. It's going to make a perfect tying desk/ storage unit. The drawers are bit crammed but everything I currently own as far a tyiing tools and materials fits somewhere.

I have the pictured bridge lamp with a new LED bulb, but am looking for something a bit more directional. It need to have not too large a, but heavy, base, be 5000k, dimmable, max about 6 watts, be readily adjustable and not get in the way.

What are you using.

I have the Folding task lamp, it's about 15 years old now and still going strong, nice strong natural light for these old eyes. I can ajust it easily to hit the fly just right. Turns on when you unfold it, I take it when I do demos and shows. Nice and portable. But I like it because it takes up small space. Had a gooseneck style also but the wife made it hers for crafts.

http://products.ottlite.com/p-342-13w-folding-task-lamp.aspx#ReviewHeader

I'd like to get something a little more portable than what I have at home at present. I've not noticed the OttLite at Costco before, but will keep my eyes open for sure. Costco.ca doesn't have any listed... the .com site has one with a bluetooth speaker and usb port; with it I could charge my tablet, listen to tunes, and see my my vice all in one go!

Sure beats tying by candlelight.

Yer datin' yourself there Doc :)

Picked up an LED Ottlite from Michaels yesterday. I tried to use the 40% off coupon, but was told that the lights are considered "everyday value" items, so couldn't use it. :$*%&: Guess I didn't take the time to read the fine print, or perhaps it wasn't visible by candlelight.

Yer datin' yourself there Doc :)

Picked up an LED Ottlite from Michaels yesterday. I tried to use the 40% off coupon, but was told that the lights are considered "everyday value" items, so couldn't use it. :$*%&: Guess I didn't take the time to read the fine print, or perhaps it wasn't visible by candlelight.

Do they carry more than 1 model? Which did you get?, Cost?

I will be in CGY next week and will check.

Tks

I have had mine for 8 yrs now.I got the 1 that has the charger,with in.I f you tie on a nor vise.I find it to be a little short,[bulb,length].So i lifted it so the nor vise base sit on top,of the base ledge,then i butt it up to vertical body.It is the closest light to natural that i have found 7 about 100.00 less than nor vises light...

Do they carry more than 1 model? Which did you get?, Cost?

I will be in CGY next week and will check.

Tks

I got an LED one, that it is little smaller than the CFL one Lornce linked above. LED version seems plenty bright enough for me, though light is a little cool on the spectrum; it was $50. I think the CFL 13 watt one is closer to $100 as tallieho mentioned. They did have a few other models in addition to these 2 as well; some smaller battery operated ones that may be good for tying on the road with no power, though not sure how bright they'd be. This was at the Lethbridge store, but betting Calgary locations will have the same products.

This one at Staples is pretty decent too. We have one for another location in the house, and next to the Ottlite one the colour is a bit warmer. It stands a few inches taller and has a built-in magnifier. Hard to tell if there is any difference in brightness.

Conor, I have an antique secretary in the living room. The top on a true secretary is sloped as it hinges at the front lip of the lower part of the cabinet. It also has support arms that extend as the top is lowered

This is actually a two piece unit. Not sure what to call it, maybe quasi-secretary. Would be quite easy to replicate.