Fly Fusion Forums

Home Security

Looking for a system for a second property. Anyone any experience/ recommendations. Have heard both good and bad about both ADT and Alarm force (voice threaten sounds really scary ;) )

I'm all ears.

Tks

PM sent

I wanted a hardwired system (b/c we have an uninsulated garage and that kills the batteries and batteries are expensive).

I went with Shawn Wideman of Maximum Home Security (independent installer family business) after a recommendation on the Redneck Board! Shawn knows his sh* t! He was the only one that listened to me and even suggested ways I could save money (doing my own digging, etc.) and ways to improve my security (reinforcing doors, etc, and how to do it myself, etc.). He has done a lot of industrial installs (Costco, Victoria Secret and a bunch of retailers in Banff, and much more). He is honest and friendly and I have recommended him to neighbours and they have been equally satisfied. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Shawn @ MHS!!

Peter

I went with Rogers.

We had presentations from ADT and Liberty, but rogers came on top. all i was looking for was door and window and glass break sensors as all my video needs were taken care of with a outdoor 8 camera cctv system.

The price was reasonable per month. 2 year contract. first year was 19.99, second year 39.99

This included the app as well. Most other companies charge minimum 49.99 for that service

we paid alot for equipment but we got alot of extras as i was looking for fort knox.

4 months in and im super happy with my choice

pm me if you want a contact i dealt with, he was very friendly

Another bonus with MHS...

He does have a monitoring service that he uses (Lanvac) - $20/month is what we pay, but you are free to go with whomever you want. I have absolutely no complaints with the monitoring company he uses (they are located in Ontario, but not overseas or in the US). Anytime we have had an alarm activated (very few and all false alarms - all our fault), they instantly called...

PM sent

I wanted a hardwired system (b/c we have an uninsulated garage and that kills the batteries and batteries are expensive).

I went with Shawn Wideman of Maximum Home Security (independent installer family business) after a recommendation on the Redneck Board! Shawn knows his sh* t! He was the only one that listened to me and even suggested ways I could save money (doing my own digging, etc.) and ways to improve my security (reinforcing doors, etc, and how to do it myself, etc.). He has done a lot of industrial installs (Costco, Victoria Secret and a bunch of retailers in Banff, and much more). He is honest and friendly and I have recommended him to neighbours and they have been equally satisfied. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Shawn @ MHS!!

Peter

Uber Tks I'll give him a call.

Tks others too.

Need a 'no phone needed' system as there will be no active phone line.

For insurance to be satisfied need to have flood and temperature sensors - OR a home check every 3 days. THAT works out to $200 a month.

Another bonus with MHS...

He does have a monitoring service that he uses (Lanvac) - $20/month is what we pay, but you are free to go with whomever you want. I have absolutely no complaints with the monitoring company he uses (they are located in Ontario, but not overseas or in the US). Anytime we have had an alarm activated (very few and all false alarms - all our fault), they instantly called...

That seems pretty darn reasonable for monitoring. I've talked to a few of my neighbors, and they all seem to be in long term contracts that are double to triple that for monthly monitoring costs. Lots of Vivint signs around Lethbridge, probably due to the connection with the LDS community; I've looked into them (they seem to have a pretty cool technology set) and ADT a couple times, but always scared away by steep monitoring charges.

I've had excellent service from Liberty and seem to have latest web app technology for monitoring while away. They installed code activated locks which I prefer over key access. We pay under $40 pm for monitoring and rely on cell as we have no land line to the cottage.