Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing Midges On The Bow

jtaylor

Midges... I have used them as part as a dry dropper. The problem I have is when trying to fish them on the bottom. I've trailed midges behind a SJW or PT but I'm convinced this just costs me money when I get hung up on a rock or log. If I use a midge above(off a tag) I find that it ends up wrapping around my fly line every other cast.

Does anyone actually have luck with fishing these near the bottom on the bow? If so, any tips or links would be awesome.

Cheers,

JT

Doesn't it cost you money to fish any nymph rig? When you're flirting with bottom, Beit 2 flies or 1, You risk hanging up. Just shorten up a hair. both flies don't have to be bouncing or dragging on bottom...Fish (The ones you want to catch ie not whites) not only look up but are suspended off bottom. You just want your flies going through that window of about 2 feet or less from bottom. IMO a trout will go up before it goes down for food.

not sure if you're going by the rule "2x water depth" but I find that excessive in most situations, especially with a heavy worm rig, that drifts relatively vertically.

Lastly, have you heard of drop shot nymphing? That might be what you're after.

Sorry if I stated the obvious or if you were after a different answer.

Cheers,

B

• Like 2

Could try the heavier fly on the bottom, and midge off a dropper, a la Jeff Currier style. He does a simple double surgeon's with a long tag for the dropper (top, lighter fly) down to a terminal heavier fly. He recommends this with streamers (further apart) as well as with nymphs. Meant to try this more this year after hearing him talk about it this spring, but haven't really done so yet. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like 1

When I nymph this is one of my winter go tos for the Bow I have an indi, 5' to a swivel, 3' to splits, 1' to SJW and then 2' to a midge pattern and I dredge the bottom with this rig. I've never had much of an issue hooking bottom, but perhaps that is because I have accepted that as part of the game. It has been a very effective for me.

I like having the weight above the light midge and with a long dropper line from the SJW I find the splits and the SJW "anchor" the rig and the midge flutters in the water much more naturally

• Like 1

When I nymph this is one of my winter go tos for the Bow I have an indi, 5' to a swivel, 3' to splits, 1' to SJW and then 2' to a midge pattern and I dredge the bottom with this rig. I've never had much of an issue hooking bottom, but perhaps that is because I have accepted that as part of the game. It has been a very effective for me.

I like having the weight above the light midge and with a long dropper line from the SJW I find the splits and the SJW "anchor" the rig and the midge flutters in the water much more naturally

This is almost exactly what I do. I use a chenille SJW and a size 18/20 midge pattern. Both are relatively light so they can bounce along the bottom. As the weather gets colder, I find the SJW and zebra midge are equally likely to catch fish.

With Jayhad's rig, I just make sure the split shot is never dragging on the bottom. I find the worst case scenario is if your weight is gets hung-up.