Fly Fusion Forums

Thoughts From All, Good Or Bad

Unemployed landman residing in Airdrie wondering if a flyshop would fly in this bedroom city? Somewhere along highway for easy access? Unfortunately I have zero retail business experience, so probably answered my own question. Perhaps some kinda partnership? Appreciate all of your input and advice.

Unemployed landman residing in Airdrie wondering if a flyshop would fly in this bedroom city? Somewhere along highway for easy access? Unfortunately I have zero retail business experience, so probably answered my own question. Perhaps some kinda partnership? Appreciate all of your input and advice.

Suspect we're at 'peak flyshop'for Calgary and area, and having bass pro right there would also be quite hard to compete with. Convincing brands that you could handle the competition would be extremely challenging

Don't do it, for reasons stated above. Extreme price competition with bass pro, extreme overall competition from what...5 other shops?

And, a shop in Airdrie is on the 'wrong' side of the city. Fairly distant from your bread and butter, the Bow.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.

• Like 1

IMO, 'Feels like' the most successful fly shops are south of the weir , where best fishing is on the Bow. Not sure if there is a cause and effect relationship.

For the North part of the City and perhaps Airdrie, Iron Bow is a stunning fly shop with quality staff providing insights.

I decide which fly shop to buy my stuff at based on 1. How I am helped and treated by the staff 2. Proximity to my house

Personally, for Fly Shops, i don't think either Bass Pro or their recently acquired Cabelas is much of a threat. The shops are small on breadth of selection, push their house brands where possible and candidly the pricing is nothing special. I also choose to shop and support local shops when I can.

I think your biggest competition is the internet.

Perhaps test a "Pop up shop" in Airdrie before committing to a lease and full time space. Definitely focus on the affordable to mid priced product where the majority of your sales will be.

Thanks to all. I knew the members would have some great feedback and that's what i rec'd.

My wife has no knowledge of this post and so she would be the first and biggest hurdle if ever i was to move fwd.

Sage's is thinkin the right way, with a pop up idea without huge $$$ commitment. I was thinkin perhaps the northerners coming south to fish the Bow and the cutty streams might be a big part of customer base especially with no decent fly shop in Red Deer, that I know of.

But what the heck does a flyshop rely on from this point of the year til April. Bullshit and coffee? Perhaps make a little "shine" outback to sell under the counter to warm people's cockles over the winter!!!!!!!! Thank again y'awll.

Something to consider. Whirling disease reduced the fly shops in West Yellowstone from near a dozen to 3 barely hanging on. Better now but was ugly for some years.

Removing all the postings of fish caught from the Crow, Bow, Oldman and Tribs. Will give you some understanding of the potential effect.

Fly shops and dinasouras may share the same fate.

Don

• Like 1

Thanks to all. I knew the members would have some great feedback and that's what i rec'd.

My wife has no knowledge of this post and so she would be the first and biggest hurdle if ever i was to move fwd.

Sage's is thinkin the right way, with a pop up idea without huge $$$ commitment. I was thinkin perhaps the northerners coming south to fish the Bow and the cutty streams might be a big part of customer base especially with no decent fly shop in Red Deer, that I know of.

But what the heck does a flyshop rely on from this point of the year til April. Bullshit and coffee? Perhaps make a little "shine" outback to sell under the counter to warm people's cockles over the winter!!!!!!!! Thank again y'awll.

I thought there was a shop in Red Deer? Just like described a pop up store or something similar?

And while I would stop at your shop on my way to the Bow, Aidrie wouldn't work if I am doing the full blown southern AB thing. When I go to the Pass, it either means Fish Tales (closest to bypassing Cowtown), or the Crowsnest Angler or the Crowsnest Cafe. If you're talking the Red Deer area cutties, browns, and bulls, there is no incentive to drive all the way to Airdrie and back when I am turning onto hwy 11A or 54 when coming from Edmonton. Even with the lack of a true flyshop up here, I can usually get enough stuff to sustain myself for an outing. :)

Mike

Yes the winters are long & lonely and the bills keep coming.

It's now spring, things should get going, but wait it's been raining for a month.

Fairly short season around here.

How long until the initial investment is recouped ?

After rent, common area costs, labour, misc bills, insurance not to mention restocking shelves... what is left over.

Location with lots of walk by traffic is important.

Mall with a HD, Tims, Canadian tire etc..would help.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't imagine a shop making it without guiding, lessons etc. That means more employees, insurance, advertising etc. This really was really just kind of a pipe dream and just wanted all of the members input. I have no business plan or cost analysis etc. This idea would certainly not put me on a trout stream near as much as I have been this season, that I know. There in lies a huge question.

To set up a fly shop you would need $250,000 in the bank. None of the suppliers will give you terms until you have proved yourself financially. Without volume discounts you will find it difficult to compete and you could be left with outdated inventory at the end of the season. Unless you are prepared to book and pay for your inventory pre-season you will not be able to guarantee supply. There are many fly shops in the states grossing less than $400,000 per year with a net return of less than $20,000 (5%) after paying all your commitments.

And finally with the current financial insecurity in the Province, those who do have an income could well be spending less on recreational activities.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

That is something you have to reapply for each tear I assume?

Don't think so. Once you own the days I think they're yours until you sell them to someone else. Kind of like taxi plates. There may be annual fees associated with them though. I seem to recall one outfitter buying out another just to get the rod days they owned, not for the business itself.