Fly Fusion Forums

Redds

cgyguy

Been reading a lot of the Bow river reports and there seems to be a huge discussion on redds (not stepping on them), and browns (big ones). As i have not the education or the comprehensive knowledge in this regard, i think it would be helpful to those new fisher people as to what they should be looking for, why, where, when, and how. I don't think simply dont step on them gives new people a very good understanding on why this is so important.

If this has been explained in the past, please disregard, but i haven't seen anything that gives a full explanantion or full understanding on redds?

Thanks folks,

• Like 3

We don't actually have anything on the BRC site yet regarding redds, but I think it would be an interesting piece of work for us to consider.

I was able to dig up this online fishing log that has some useful info on how to ID redds and what to keep in mind. Worth a look! http://onlinefishinglog.com/blog/23/Spawning-Trout-and-Redds

• Like 2

The info at that link is pretty good but there are always exceptions. During the redd survey last year we did see them occasionally in deeper water and faster water than we expected. Also the 2-3' width is accurate for a single redd but we often saw multiple redds superimposed on each other making it appear like a single much larger redd.

Here are a couple pics from the survey.

I think this was a single redd.

22847362732_63dcd29659_c.jpgDSCF3881.jpg by Marc Fossi, on Flickr

Multiple redds superimposed.

22442532408_c301edb238_c.jpgDSCF3886.jpg by Marc Fossi, on Flickr

• Like 2

Missed this.

why, where, when, and how.

A biologist like bcube will be able to give you better info than me, but I'll try to mention a few points.

Some people might wonder why there's so much attention to the browns spawning in the fall but not much about the rainbows in the spring. The browns tend to spawn in the Bow itself and while some rainbows do as well, the majority go up tribs like the Highwood to knock boots (fins?). The Bow isn't closed to angling in the fall but the tribs are closed in the spring for cutthroat that spawn at the same time as rainbows, which is why you get cuttbows. Since the Bow is open while the browns are spawning usually people will start posting reminders because in some areas they are pretty easy to see on their redds and someone who doesn't know any better may attempt to cast at them.

Since the redds are often in side channels and braided water between islands that is about 3' deep people often wade through this same water to get to an island or cast to deeper water. I saw a few redds get trampled last fall by guys crossing over to an island.

Browns are generally October spawners, but I think exactly when is triggered mainly by water temp - cooler is better. So basically start keeping an eye out for the redds so you don't accidentally trample them while wading. Even wading right above redds can be bad as significant silt washing down can smother the eggs. One of the issues with OHVs crossing streams in the spring is the silt they cause that could smother cutthroat eggs.

• Like 5

Missed this.

A biologist like bcube will be able to give you better info than me, but I'll try to mention a few points.

Not a P. Biol yet (working on it). Marc has summed up really well the most of it. Unfortunately browns sure like to spawn in areas that people cross in, but that's the nature of shallow water they're spawning in.Back channels collect spawning fish, or sure did last year! You should expect to see results from the fall spawning survey from last year sometime soon, as well as an invite to the 2016 one coming out. Can learn a lot by attending that

• Like 1

What looked like quite a few redds to me in a very popular side channel in Fish Creek, a couple just like the picture of Marc's that people need to steer clear of. They are very easy to spot, so should be no excuse except for the uneducated, which at that spot there are many.

• Like 1

What looked like quite a few redds to me in a very popular side channel in Fish Creek, a couple just like the picture of Marc's that people need to steer clear of. They are very easy to spot, so should be no excuse except for the uneducated, which at that spot there are many.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Mallard Point side channel was absolutely chocked full of redds last fall, and test redds in early october. Probably not a bad project in the future is signage showing how to ID redds, and to avoid them, especially in easier-accessed areas.

• Like 2

That would be the same area where I saw the redds get trampled last year.

Fish like to key into spots where there is good flow and especially up-welling of flows through clean gravel. These flows provide oxygenation for the eggs.

With a bottom covered in algae like the Bow, redds look like places that have been swept clean.

So the end of a run as it shallows out before a riffle (and even in the top of the riffle) is often a good spot for a redd. Fish often look for some over hanging cover in addition to good flows and proper substrate size.

Take care of the next generation for future angling fun

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few here in the NW already, and was curious if Whitefish create the same structures?

The redds I saw were the shape of a football, 1-2 feet long and very obvious amongst the algae.

-M.

Whitefish are broadcast spawners and don't build redds

• Like 1

One other point of note: Redds are composed of freshly turned and loosened gravel. As such, they feel quite unstable if you accidentally step onto one. In one step you can go from good firm footing to very soft footing that you will sink a few inches into. We should always be looking for spawn redds, but if you fail to notice one in time, pay attention to the surface under foot.

The info at that link is pretty good but there are always exceptions. During the redd survey last year we did see them occasionally in deeper water and faster water than we expected. Also the 2-3' width is accurate for a single redd but we often saw multiple redds superimposed on each other making it appear like a single much larger redd.

Here are a couple pics from the survey.

I think this was a single redd.

22847362732_63dcd29659_c.jpgDSCF3881.jpg by Marc Fossi, on Flickr

Multiple redds superimposed.

22442532408_c301edb238_c.jpgDSCF3886.jpg by Marc Fossi, on Flickr

that second pic wasn't the mainstem just above sue higgens park before it doglegs, was it?

Fish might be trying out some gravel to check it for quality already. Seems a bit early for dumping eggs. But there is usually a bell curve of appearances over time

With this strange weather/hatch/water level year on the mighty Bow, maybe they are testing gravel already. Nice to have a structure to look for instead of wading straight across. Thanks for the pictures, folks. :)

-M.

Sorry about the picture quality and audio, best i could do with an iphone and polarized sunglasses as a filter.

Managed to find these two redds (smaller one at the back) when walking at lunch.

Please take professori's advice and test your steps for loose gravel.

I had reasonable visibility from this vantage point but had I been wading out from the bank, the glare was too much

and I couldn't even see this redd. (I did try to get more video from the bank but couldn't see anything)

please enjoy and don't fish to any browns doing their thing.

(wish i had a better camera!)

cheers

Obviously not from today :( ha

Looks like that's just below the peace bridge, eh?

from yesterday,

and the shadow of the bridge should give the location away (it's very specific) ;)

my observations from last year are that either the male or female will stand guard for another day or so.

the other fish will move on

but i think these may be early spawners?

I spotted other smaller fish under the bridge (which haven't been there previously) so I assume that they have moved upriver as well.

It's great to watch and I agree that we all should see this at least once.