Fly Fusion Forums

Boat Inspections

What does everyone know about the boat inspections? Does it have to be inspected before every trip or launch? Can I be pro active and take it someplace in town before I have a trip or do I just wait until I go through a stop check on the highway? Is there a charge for the inspection? Are pontoon boats part of the "boats" that need to be inspected? For that matter, what about all those $20.00 plastic rafts that float our rivers?

Sent you a link.AEP Watercraft inspections..When i came thru from the parklands,they checked everything.The guy ahead of me.Left his plug in & didn't empty his bilge.It cost him huge $$$.That was at the truck inspection[weigh scale] east of Medicine Hat.They even checked my anchor ropes,net,wading boots etc.All which is a very good thing,took about 10-15mins..

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, I know the penalties are pretty severe and I'd rather not get a ticket for something that can be avoided.

I tried the link you sent me but it won't open. Says server error file could not be found. I'll try again later.

Thanks again Brian

• Like 1

Unfortunately you can't do it before hand. I tried last year before I sold my boat. They want you to have the inspection on the way to the lake or out of province. Glad I had my plugs out (that includes your live wells). Yes they do inspect pontoon boats. The last time I was waiting in line for an inspection they chased down a guy with a canoe on his roof who did not stop (at the BC border).

So you pull the plug, and pick off and out any weeds, clean anchor rope and boots. Are you also supposed to wash the boat ie spray carwash?

Just Googled AEP Boat Inspections, lots of good info.

An inspection of your watercraft and trailer will be conducted. Watercraft Inspectors will be looking at all areas of the boat that could harbour invasive mussels, this includes but is not limited to:

• Anchor lines
  • Bilge areas
  • Hull
  • Life jackets
  • Live wells
  • Motor
  • Trailer

You may be asked to remove ballast bags, demonstrate that internal holds are dry, and to engage bilge/ballast pumps if applicable.

Your help and cooperation with accessing these areas will be appreciated and will help to expedite your visit. If you have any questions during your inspection, please do not hesitate to ask your Watercraft Inspector.

I go thru the one at Coutts 2-3 times a year, & stop every time even if early in the am & aren't working yet I will stop & a fellow from the weigh scales will come out & inspect & make note of my plate # in case someone chases me down or asks.

On the way back I stop in Cascade & use the Trout Montana Carwash & wash it down for the trip home, for 2 reasons for the inspection, & saves me cleaning it up at home. I have never had to remove the cover because they look at the trailer & check the plugs to insure they are out.

Bonus, you get a nice Chamois as a reward.

I have been thru an Inspection in Montana as well just as I was getting ready to back into the river, all was good, & they give you a pamphlets with good info & a sponge to use when washing. Great experiences in both & it makes sure I'm doing my part. I wash my boat between rivers in Montana also, a little bit of a pain to find a carwash in some towns but can never be called out because of a dirty boat & trailer & insures I'm not moving stuff between rivers because you don't know which rivers have problems & which don't.

• Like 5

+1. As much as Americans get some s*** thrown their way, the Coutts and Montana folks are on point.

-M.

I go thru the one at Coutts 2-3 times a year, & stop every time even if early in the am & aren't working yet I will stop & a fellow from the weigh scales will come out & inspect & make note of my plate # in case someone chases me down or asks.

On the way back I stop in Cascade & use the Trout Montana Carwash & wash it down for the trip home, for 2 reasons for the inspection, & saves me cleaning it up at home. I have never had to remove the cover because they look at the trailer & check the plugs to insure they are out.

Bonus, you get a nice Chamois as a reward.

I have been thru an Inspection in Montana as well just as I was getting ready to back into the river, all was good, & they give you a pamphlets with good info & a sponge to use when washing. Great experiences in both & it makes sure I'm doing my part. I wash my boat between rivers in Montana also, a little bit of a pain to find a carwash in some towns but can never be called out because of a dirty boat & trailer & insures I'm not moving stuff between rivers because you don't know which rivers have problems & which don't.