Fly Fusion Forums

Glasses: What Are Your Techniques For Managing

scel

I guess I am officially old. Over the last 3 years, my prescription went from +0.75 to +1.75. I still do not need glasses to drive, but other than big ass streamers, I can no longer tie hooks/line without glasses. The problem is that my distance vision is still good, and wearing glasses impedes it.

I have one pair of prescription sunglasses that I had specifically for fishing with progressive bifocals. They are great if I am walking normally, but they tend to screw with my depth perception, so I have to be careful if I am scaling rip rap or steeper paths. When it is not sunny or if it is dusk/dawn, i have to take out my glasses. I need my glasses for work and general life.

I was thinking of buying a cheap pair of reading glasses from the drug store and attaching them to a typical string around my neck. Unless they are actively on me, I would expect to lose a pair per season.

How do you manage your vision aids?

I became officially old last year. I now use the flip down magnifiers that clip to the hat brim as well. I have seen people use the clic style readers and they just put them on in front of their sunglasses when required.

I'm in that club too. During the last couple of years I have won the "vision lottery" with both encroaching slight presbyopia and myopia. I have regular bifocals with clip-on sunglasses that work pretty well, but I am constantly losing the clip-ons. Last weekend (when I couldn't find my clip-ons yet again) I experimented with wearing contacts for distance, and cheapo sunglasses with a bi-focal lens for close up stuff (Fish Eyes from Bass Pro, I think). This actually worked pretty well until it started to get low-light, and then found I was fumbling to put the sunglasses back on to tie on flies. I have some flip down Hat Eyes, but haven't used them much yet as they don't fit well on the fedora style (aka, ear-protecting) hats I usually wear; they are better suited to flat brim ball caps. Seems there is no perfect solution for me, though you might have an easier time given that you don't need correction for distance. Maybe a regular bi-focal that others have recommended vs a progressive?

With bifocals you have 2 vision areas, top for general and bottom for close up. With progerssives a good chunk of your vision area is taken up by the progressive in between area area with much less of the close up and general vision area. Vanity of course come into play for some.

• Like 1

Another who has joined the " vision club". I used to wear my Kaenons then switched to my Costco +1.50 readers to tie flies. Worked ok, just kept readers in my sling pack.

This Spring I bought Maui Jim sunglass readers. Perfect to use as sunglasses for majority of fishing but small portion in bottom that have +1.50 readers built in for tying flies and tippet. ....no swapping back in forth. I bought the Maui Jims at my optometrist office in Calgary.

(I brought a fly and tippet to the optometrist and tied it on to ensure they would work, took about an hour to get used to and no falling issues as they are not as aggressive as progressives )

• Like 1

Friend made his "string" around the neck out of 80lb bite leader and attached to arms via drilling a tiny hole and compression fitting.

I just wear my progressives and never take them off. Thankfully they were never a bother for me

I believe these are by far the best option for aging eyes:https://www.amazon.ca/Hydrotac-Reusable-Stick--Bifocal-Diopter/dp/B00GHR8YWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471532496&sr=8-1&keywords=stick+on+lenses

These lenses stick to the inside of your glasses and provide a bifocal setup. I have a pair of prescription Maui Jims. M. J. offer straight prescriptions for about $600 or progressives (which are the Devil's own torment) for $900. They do not offer bi-focals. For $20-$30 dollars you can convert your own M.J.to bifocals in 15 minutes.

You have used these stick on lenses with success?

You bet! I've had my current ones 3 years and they are as good as my bi-focal everyday glasses. If all you need is reading glasses for close-up work, putting these on the inside of whatever sunglasses you use will do away with the need for a spare pair of glasses, clip on magnifiers, brim lenses, whatever. I would recommend getting a spare set, as i did once have a lens detach while I was in the middle of a stream and that was the end of that one. Took me about a week to get a replacement ordered and shipped to me. Now I have a spare set in my trailer.

• 7 months later...

I've worn progressives for years, they're required for my work license as a pilot. I can't wear polarised prescription sunglasses on the flight deck because polarisation interferes with the laminate windscreens and windows and alters some colour on the aircraft screens... so it's conventional grey or brown lenses for work.

This makes it hard to fish, and polarised lenses are desirable when fishing as they really cut down on glare, so I eventually bought some huge over-glasses. I think they are named "Cocoons" (got 'em at Wholesale off Heritage). They are amber-yellow and fit right over my regular clear glasses. They look bloody awful, but they work very well.

• Like 1