Fly Fusion Forums

Ultralight Reels, Too Light?

Dangus

Recently got a sage click 4/5/6 for a 590-4 sage one. Balance is horrible. Tip goes to the drink. Which begs the question. What's the point of being so light? Maybe it'd work on a shorter rod or maybe a 4 wt. but definitely doesn't work on the 5 and sure as hell not on the 6.

Found that on some of my set ups, rod weight in oz+0.2ozX 1.5 gives you the right weight to balance your rod.

Anyone else have a system for correctly pairing a reel toa rod?

That's why it's important to do a test cast with either the rod/reel you own vs the rod/reel you are considering buying. A few years back I brought a loaded reel to the Expo to test cast rods. Definitely HATED it on a BVK (Tip heavy) but there were a few others that it felt really balanced on (Winston and a couple of higher end sage rods - all were considerably lighter then a BVK - to which I am not a fan - I am entitled to my opinion). I am definitely an advocate for trying before buying!! Add to the mix that casting stroke is another determining factor for an over all purchase and there's a definite advantage to buying at a dedicated reputable fly shop!!

Thanks for the reply but that's not really what I'm getting at.

It can't be all trial and error. There's gotta be some way to narrow it down without lining every reel you're interested in and puting it on a rod.

What's the point of producing a 3 ounce 4/5/6 click if it only balances a 8 foot 4 weight?

Bron:

One example; given the arm dynamics / ergonomics involved in a method like European nymphing, some anglers prefer a very light reel; less wear on yourself when extending your arm extensively throughout the day.

Mike

• Like 2

I just casted a Sage X 590 with a Sage Click reel & I thought it was very well balanced & was a pleasure to cast. Not sure of the weight difference between the 2 rods but it was pretty nice & I hadn't any experience with the Click so it was all new to me.

Can not say for sure but one would think that a company.... Sage for example looks to make sure that their reels balance with their own rods before they worry about other brands as it sounds they do.... no different than a Burton boot fitting better with a Burton binding for instance.... so stands to reason that one needs to check this before hand when purchasing... although I would prefer to replace the reel than the rod if I had a choice as I never buy a rod model before I have had it in my hand

Hmm. The other thing that bothered me with the click is that the drag setting isn't quite strong enough to prevent over run when you give it a good pull. Could use another bit of adjustment. Otherwise you have to keep your pinky on the rim while you rip line off. Feels like you're using a center pin.

Hello Bron,

I've had the same problem. A couple years ago I bought a 6wt and assumed that the 5/6 reel I already had would work but it was too light. I did what I read online, which was to balance the rod over the back of a chair where you hold the rod, tie a small baggie to the rod where the reel would sit and start adding pennies to the bag till the rod balances. After checking on line, depending on manufacturer, there were 4/5 reels and also 7/8 reels that would work. I ended up buying another 5/6, just heavier.

Ive got a couple sage click 1st gens. I run one a sage z axis 5 wt and one on a couple diff 4 weights and find them to be pretty well balanced. you are right about the shorter rod tho, ive got an 8 foot amundson midge I picked up as a training rod for the wife and combo'd with the sage click it has become my fav setup. Hopefully you get it figured out. For what its worth i've got a 4200 series on my 6 weight sage one and they balance like a dream. If you find a good deal on one id look into it maybe. Cheers!

Lornce, You're right. I lost several dollars worth of pennies before I realized the idea was to take the baggie off and weigh it. Seriously though, the weight in a baggie trick works well. I used it on a two handed rod as well. Bought the rod first, balanced it, then went and bought the reel. I've never heard of anyone test casting reels before, but a good shop should be able to say what reels would suit a rod best.

• Like 1

A couple wraps of golfer's lead tape around the spool before you put on the backing and line will help and save you the cost of getting another reel. Some rod manufactures actually suggest what weight of reel to balance the rod, to bad not all of them do, nothing on Sage's website.

Colin

• Like 1

I don't have a formula for you...but to answer you question " Too Light " yes!

I use a Sage One 5wt with a 7/8 nautilus FWX, 6wt streamer fly line. And find the balance Perfect with great overall light feel...

When I tried my buddy's 5/6 nautilus FWX, 5wt fly line with the Sage One 5wt, founded it to be overall to light!! Mind you I'm using this set-up for chucking streamers all day...

And for the record, there's very little difference in weight between both reels. Not sure how much more weight if any, by going one size up on the fly line either.

Nautilus FWX

5/6, 3.8oz.

7/8, 4.1oz.

Great reels...

Bridge

Curious,

Where did you get the formula you use, or through trial and error... Have you tried it with heavier rods? Both single and double?

P

Ya I just wondered if it worked. interested in others set ups

Read it on some guys blog. I sort of scanned through the part where he talked about the weight of line. I figured adding a couple of 10ths of an ounce would come out in the wash. After trying it with some of my rods, it seems like You're sort of just trying to find a ballpark more than a specific number.

I have not done it for dh rods yet. I have a pesky speyco reel that never seems to feel at home on my meiser, so I'll have to do some digging about that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had the same issue with a 5 wt. Radian, and a 5wt. Wraith. The nautilus FWX 5 wt. was too light. Had to switch over to a Nautilus FWX

7 wt. reel to balance correctly. The plumbers tape sounds like a good idea, or a few wraps of solder.

The length of the rod also makes a big difference, a 7' rod is going to take way lighter of a reel to balance it than a 9' rod. Keep in mind how much lighter the 7' blank will be, combined with the fact that its center of gravity is going to be much closer to the handle, resulting in even less weight needed. I've often found that 3-5 times the blank weight is a good size for the reel depending on the rod and personal preference.