Fly Fusion Forums

Wasp Nest, What To Do?

Small problem, soon to be a big one. Found a wasp nest under the peak of our roof about 25 feet up. Was thinking at night when they are dormant to try to knock it down with the hose and bag it. I am not the guy for being high up on a ladder or roof. Any suggestions?

I've used the Windex House Cleaner before, it doesn't hurt paint/siding/pets(!) and it seemed to destroy a lot of them and the nest. It fits on the end of a garden hose, so you can spray from below on a much shorter ladder, and can get at it from the side. Hopefully it's only been there for this year, and hasn't penetrated the roof/gable. Good Luck!

-M.

#1-Set up a video camera

#2-put on a ridiculous outfit to keep wasps from biting you, outfit must include a hockey helmet

#3- shoot flaming arrows at wasp hive

#4-use hose to put out the house when it catches on fire

#5-run like hell when hive falls and hits the ground

#6-call the fire department

#7-Post video on you tube and enjoy your 15min of Internet fame as the "hockey dude wasp exterminator"

#8-Call Troutlover and say thank you

• Like 3

#1-Set up a video camera

#2-put on a ridiculous outfit to keep wasps from biting you, outfit must include a hockey helmet

#3- shoot flaming arrows at wasp hive

#4-use hose to put out the house when it catches on fire

#5-run like hell when hive falls and hits the ground

#6-call the fire department

#7-Post video on you tube and enjoy your 15min of Internet fame as the "hockey dude wasp exterminator"

#8-Call Troutlover and say thank you

Did all that already except for the camera, that is why I am asking for more advice. Thanks though, cause you did not provide the number. Lol

• Like 1

I've used the Windex House Cleaner before, it doesn't hurt paint/siding/pets(!) and it seemed to destroy a lot of them and the nest. It fits on the end of a garden hose, so you can spray from below on a much shorter ladder, and can get at it from the side. Hopefully it's only been there for this year, and hasn't penetrated the roof/gable. Good Luck!

-M.

Brand new house. They are just starting to build it, still quite small. That is why I thought a hose would maybe bring it down.

Funny we had this discussions today Grandkids noticed a nest up on the eves. Had a hose attachment for spraying trees and bushes. I filled it with water and a bunch of dishwashing soap. This worked like a charm and will be my go-to method. Did it in early morning when they are not active.

Had a hose attachment for spraying trees and bushes. I filled it with water and a bunch of dishwashing soap. This worked like a charm and will be my go-to method. Did it in early morning when they are not active.

My Cousin is a beekeeper and has told me before soap/water does the trick.

if you can bag it and catch the queen they won't rebuild. Once you get rid of it you can put some paper lunch bags around the property to mimic other nests and they will not nest in the area again. I thought this was crazy but seems to be working since I tore down two nests this spring and haven't had another since hanging the bags. You can buy fake nests at home hardware as well. Put bags in my sheds, under my deck and other likely places for them to nest. Don't even think I've seen a wasp since I did this.

• Like 1

is there a reason that no one has suggested buying the wasp killing spray? usually can spray the nest from quite a distance. I've used it in the past and it works. a wasps nest can be pretty nasty to have in your yard. damn things continually bother your food if you're outside and when they bite it hurts.

although I've never heard of soap and water so that would most likely be more enviro friendly.

The spray gun had been suggested, just didn't trust the 25 ft to the peak, and did not think I could clean it very easy after. Ended up using an eves trough extension cleaner. Worked well, but now they are trying to nest in an old piece of drift wood in the garden. Moving in to the narrow cracks. Maybe a spray for this one. It's a nice piece of wood.