Fly Fusion Forums

Bulls On Dries?

Heading to a system known for Bulls hitting flies on the surface. Do you just throw the same stuff out there you would for Cutts/Rockies that are in there? Or are there particular flies that attracts them? I don't do a lot of fishing for Bulls. I know they like their streamers but I'm more interested in seeing if I can check the elusive Bull on Dry box on my Fly Fishing check list.

Appreciate the feedback.

Reid

Its fun to throw mice flies at them, but they'll eat Chernobyl's all day long (and with more consistency). Mice-ing is cool, but if they don't eat it, they're probably not going to eat a follow up fly.

Don't forget to 'meep meep meep' while stripping

It happened three times to me in one day this year. Although the first two were under 15" but the third was pushing 26". All on a Chernobyl. Needless to say on a 3wt, it was tough to land. Thought for sure my Sage One was gonna break once it made for current.....

Thanks for the tips! I'll be using a 4wt so it could get interesting if I hook a bigger one. If I find myself in that conundrum it will be a good problem to have.

I'll have to sit with my kids and watch some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to bone up on the Mickey impersonations.

Not to rain on your parade, but That's not a good problem to have at all. That's how you exhaust and potentially kill an endangered species heading to spawn.

I would have still sighed if you said 6 weight, but it's better.

7/8 weights are ideal for Bulls.

Cheers

• Like 2

The only reason for heavy tackle with bull trout is to cast heavier tackle. I rarely target bull trout, but I've caught quite a few of them incidentally over the years and not one of them would have outmatched a 6 weight. Nearly all would be (or were) a quick landing on a 5 weight for that matter. Generally you get one decent run with a bull trout, then they roll over and its like walking the dog to the beach. Not taking anything away from bull trout, they are a beautiful and ecologically important native species, but stamina is not what I would consider one of their defining features. Pound-for-pound, they aren't even close to even match with rainbow or brown trout.

• Like 2

The only reason for heavy tackle with bull trout is to cast heavier tackle. I rarely target bull trout, but I've caught quite a few of them incidentally over the years and not one of them would have outmatched a 6 weight. Nearly all would be (or were) a quick landing on a 5 weight for that matter. Generally you get one decent run with a bull trout, then they roll over and its like walking the dog to the beach. Not taking anything away from bull trout, they are a beautiful and ecologically important native species, but stamina is not what I would consider one of their defining features. Pound-for-pound, they aren't even close to even match with rainbow or brown trout.

Have you caught anything over 30". Probably not.

Yes it's for the heavy tackle but you need the backbone to turn them. They just bull dog at the bottom

Of the pool. If you're fishing a 4/5 weight noodle, you are going to exhaust the fish beyond what you would if you had a bigger stick.

• Like 3

I'd advise heavily against a 4 wt on a big bull (from experience). Playing a fish longer than needed may be fun for you, but it isn't for the fish.

Especially given the conditions this year, think of the well being of the fish first and size up.

• Like 2

Born, yes I have caught bull trout over 30" - I have even been fortunate enough to catch one in that size class swinging a bomber dryfly (targeting steelhead). While I wouldn't condone targeting bulls with rods lighter than a 6 weight, I would argue that an 8 weight would never be necessary to land a bull trout quickly. However, if you still get sport out of fishing them with a rod that heavy, that is your prerogative. For perspective, steelhead up to 20 lbs are commonly (maybe even typically in some systems) targeted with 7 weights. I always recommend an 8 weight if there is a chance of hooking fish over 20 lbs.

Let's be honest, I am probably going to get skunked anyways so this whole discussion is useless. The primary target will be Cutts and the gear will be Cutt appropriate. If I happen to catch a Bull it will be handled with care. Fish Ethics Police can consider this case closed, nothing to see here.

• Like 1

I incidentally hooked a bull trout that was over 30" earlier this year on the Highwood. I had cast my hopper dropper at a rising fish and a 10 to 12 inch rainbow took the dropper. it jumped a couple of times and then went deep and it felt like I was snagged. I gave it a hard tug and the snag moved, a bull trout had completely inhaled the rainbow. I tried to get it close and did manage to get it close to my feet, all I could see of the rainbow was a few inches of the tippet and the dry coming out the bulls mouth. My 4 wt was bent in half, I could not turn the fish and then it decided enough was enough and it made a fast run into the deeper water and the 4X parted. I watched the fish disappear with the dry fly still hanging out of it's mouth. Yeah you need at least 7 weight if you are targeting bigger bulls. I have caught a couple of smaller bulls on dries using the 4 wt, again not targeting them, and for that size the rod was fine, because as mentioned they don't fight particularly hard.

Has a similiar situation as Trailhead in BC...big bull grabbed onto the cutty. Moving water and big fish meant 4 wt snapped right above the handle. It was time to get him in, or let him go. Might have been smarter to just point the rod at the fish and snap it off...but I have lots of 4 wts.

If you're going after bulls, bring a heavier rod.

Born, yes I have caught bull trout over 30" - I have even been fortunate enough to catch one in that size class swinging a bomber dryfly (targeting steelhead). While I wouldn't condone targeting bulls with rods lighter than a 6 weight, I would argue that an 8 weight would never be necessary to land a bull trout quickly. However, if you still get sport out of fishing them with a rod that heavy, that is your prerogative. For perspective, steelhead up to 20 lbs are commonly (maybe even typically in some systems) targeted with 7 weights. I always recommend an 8 weight if there is a chance of hooking fish over 20 lbs.

You're right, just skipping them in across the water on the 8 weight. 🙄 Ha

I think we're basically the same thing. I said 6/7/8 and his 4 weight is Undergunned.

Cheers dude

couldn't agree more with using heavier rods when targeting bigger bulls, but that being said I have caught several bulls with 4/5wts not intentionally and have landed them just as quick, no 30"+++ but mid/high 20's using a glass pole and a longggg net.

• Like 1