Fly Fusion Forums

Korker Boot Bow Out

IMG_1256.jpg

Fishing a stream about 2 miles up my Korker’s soles separated from the uppers. Rather shocking as they advertise themselves as a quality product. Having a good look at them you can see there is very little glue holding the uppers to the Sole. Must have been a Monday Morning boot, or the guy was running out of glue. Had a hell of a time limping back. Luckily I had some leader to hold them together for the walk back. Don’t expect them to last forever but where is quality control.

Warranty has expired but emailed customer service, as they seemed to have a rather shoddy glue job to say the least. Not much bonding there. Here’s the answer I received below. Basically too bad fix them yourself. Gone are the days where people stood behind their products. Can’t say I’ll be running out to buy another pair of Korkers and rather disappointed as they are not cheap. Can’t find the glue they suggested but will try Shoo Glue. Let you know how it works. Anyone else had this problem?

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for getting in touch with us, I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced a problem with one of our products. For most glue issues and repairs, I'd recommend a product called Free Sole:

You'll want to make sure that the boots are clean and dry before attempting a repair. Let us know if you have any other questions, thank you.

Best Regards,

Mark Fuller

Customer Service Account Manager

Korkers Products, LLC

-------------------------------------------------------

Yep, just this season one of my boots started coming apart just like that, same situation with not much glue on them. I used some jb weld to patch it back together and its been alright for the past few trips but we will see if it continues to hold up

I've had the same issue with korkers. Thought maybe because I use them in salt water a lot. Sounds like maybe that's not the case, anyway I used contac cement on them, they've never come apart since.

• Like 1

Its just the norm now i think. I've used Korkers for quite awhile. The wife's did the exact same thing after 3 years. we glued them back on and she still uses them up in the mountains. My first set are still going but i think my friend I gave them too did have to re glue the front toe The wife manly uses Simms boots with no visible wear after 2 seasons. Am still using Korkers because 3 years is about all I expect out of a pair of wading boots.

The reason I say its just the norm is just about every thing you buy now seems to break after a few years no matter how good you treat it. Its just a free world money making gimmick it seems.

My first set of boots were Korkers, had the same thing happen after 2 seasons on them. I've switched to Simms since then, and haven't looked back. Out of the last two pairs of Simms, I'm getting atleast 3 years on the boots. I usually have to retire them only because the tread becomes none existent, the overall integrity of the boot still holds strong.

Korkers never looked like a high quality product. Materials always looked like something you would find on something from Walmart.

They have a great idea, but it looks to be poorly executed. Not a fan of the boa system either. Complex solution for a simple task

I have had a pair of Patagonia river walkers for about 6 years, all walk and wade and I fish about 50-60 days a year. Replaced the felts twice, and they are really showing their age. Theyre discontinued so I will be aqua sealing and stitching them back up until they're really unusable. You can get them on in a few seconds. Best boots I have ever had and will be the first brand I try when they give up the ghost.

• Like 1

Same thing happened on a White River wading boot I bought at Bass Pro, but to a lesser degree. I stuck it back together with Shoe goo. Freesole and Shoe goo are very similar. It helps to wrap them with duct tape to maintain pressure between boot and sole until the glue sets.

Yeah Korkers always looked flimsy to me, especially those removeable soles and the delicate little rubbery loop thing to hold them on. Not for real walking, that's for sure.

I just bought boots last weekend - I was tempted by a pair of Korkers Buckskins, but this makes me glad I went for the Simms instead. For those in the market, I got a pair of Freestones and like them a lot so far. Also, Iron Bow will price match Bass Pro on boots, FYI.

Yeah my korkers fell apart right away too. More the boot material started to decay. Almost like when when you leave rubber out in the sun-just cracked and broke up.

Shoo goo those and get a few more miles until you buy Simms guide boots. Just remember to keep it thin otherwise your boot will feel very stiff.

i've mentioned this before. I went through two pairs of korkers, which fell apart after only a season or two, even with multiple gluing and repairs, They are a poor product, in my opinion. I bought myself a pair of simms freestone boots, and they are still intact in my third season of use. Unfortunately, where I mainly fish the Bow, there are vast amounts of rip-rap, which I find to wear out wading boots very quickly, so even the soles of these boots are very worn now. But at least they aren't korkers.

• 2 months later...

Well here we go, Glue held up well on the left boot I repaired according to Korkers instructions, and I hoped to get through the season before getting a new pair of boots in the new year. 3 miles up a freestone river I waded across a stretch and my right foot felt funny and seemed to drag in the fast water. Kind of felt like I had some line or a snag wrapped around the boot making me stumble. Almost went ass over teakettle.

Got to the other side and ouch, the other unrepaired sole had let go. The only thing that had held the sole form floating away was the clip at the back of the boot that holds the removable soul on, I looked like I had a flipper on. tango_face_grin.png Stood there laughing, my fishing buddy thought I had gone senile. So they where a match pair as far as when the glue failed. But the reason I'm posting is sometimes we get smart. I had packed a compact roll of Gorilla duct tape in my vest. Dried the boot off a bit and wrapped the heck out of it. Got me back to the truck without any trouble where I changed to my spare Chota boots (9 years and going strong). I suggest everyone keep a bit in their kit for emergencies.

So they are officially retired and I'll be looking for boots. Chatting with a sales rep, he asked me how long I owned them, said 3 years, he said oh... "3 years for a boot isn't too bad" I guess I am old school and didn't realize that wading boots where a throw away product after a couple of years (not like I wear them daily). I had an older pair of leather wading boots before those that have lasted 12 years and are still my backups. Have to check out Simms next, problem is the prices are so dear.

VaporTread. Have heard good things about guide boots too. Heavier duty than I need.

Don't forget that we're in WHIRLING DIEASE country. DONT BUY FELT.

The rubber is every bit as good as felt in the river and better on wet grass or mud imo.

VaporTread. Have heard good things about guide boots too. Heavier duty than I need.

Don't forget that we're in WHIRLING DIEASE country. DONT BUY FELT.

The rubber is every bit as good as felt in the river and better on wet grass or mud imo.

Do you mean Simms G3 Guide Boots, I've been looking at those recently, Seem to have a long and good track record.