Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Boots For Cold Clear Streams

Xplorer

Hi Guys,

I went out yesterday to a cold clear stream in the foothills and had a terrible time moving around and gaining traction. I currently have SImms Vapors and I just could not get a grip. Those boots are not quite a year old.

I took a hard fall in knee deep water yesterday, filled my waders and wow it was cold.

Is there a better boot for these clear cold waters? There is no visible algae, rock snot etc, where I am fishing, just cold. I have seen some boots with aluminum bars across the tread, any better? What about the hike in? I have a tendency to cover a lot of ground in a day.

I fished the bow earlier in the week and all was ok.

Thanks for any and all opinions

Lance

Its a trade off ...hard to beat felts in the water but they suck on shore ie....wet grass mud etc.... hard to beat rubber/vibram like out of the water..... simms makes screw in aluminum cleats for the vapors that add a ton of traction for those slippery bulltrout/cuttie streams and you won't notice them walking

Until they wear out!!

I find they wear out faster then you think and if you are putting in the mileage, they won't last long!

that add a ton of traction for those slippery bulltrout/cuttie streams and you won't notice them walking

Last summer I wore Simms Vapor boots with Vibram soles on many of the east and west slope cutty streams and didn't fall in once. I've been wearing the Vibram soles since they came out and other than the first generation of them they've been a lot better than felt in every way - especially if you do a lot of walking between spots. I don't know, maybe I unconsciously adjusted my wading style over the years or something, but I've taken more unplanned swims on the Bow wearing felt soles than anything else, including the sandals I used to wear for wet wading.

Thanks guys,

I'm going to swing by a shop and look at some new boots today anyway. Maybe there is a boot with part felt and part rubber sole out there? Maybe I am getting to old to run around in the forest..haha.

Has anybody tried the Patagonia Ultra Light Sticky boots?

Thanks again

Lance

Lance,

I have the Patagonia ULs and like them a lot, but with the "sticky" rubber sole I do still need to use the studs! When we drift the studs come out and I am "Bambi on ice", that's for sure!!

I would check out the Korkers as they have interchangeable soles. I used to have their old guide boots and liked them a lot (still have them as my back up pair)!! Unfortunately, I don;t fit their newer style (too much volume for me), Make sure you size them correctly as that effects their longevity!!

P

Thanks guys,

I'm going to swing by a shop and look at some new boots today anyway. Maybe there is a boot with part felt and part rubber sole out there? Maybe I am getting to old to run around in the forest..haha.

Thanks again

Lance

Korkers do have the nice perk of being able to swap soles.

On days I knew I had a good hike in I will take the extra soles, rubber for the hike in then felt for the day of hiking and swap back on the way out.

Thanks guys,

Thanks again

Lance

I wore the RiverWalkers stickys for 3 or 4 seasons had the felts also, the lightest most comfortable boot for me to date, they were about the same as the Simms headwaters/vapours in and out of the water but had nowhere near the durability as I went through a pair a year(uppers fell apart) compared to the Simms which I would get 2-3 seasons out of before I walked the soles off. I hear the new Tractors are better for wear but I have no reason to change back as I am happy with the other guys. If the shoe fits wear it as they need to fit your foot shape first and foremost.