Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing At Hearne Lake, Northwest Territories

dryfly

Four of us spent one week at Hearne Lake from June 7 to 14, 2016. This was my second trip, although adc and others have been 3 or 4 times.

This slide show (

) was prepared with drone footage (dronage) and digital stills. We stayed at Hearne Lake Lodge operated by Edie Dull and Ken Yoder. (Here is the URL in case the link does not work:
)

We fly-fished mainly for pike and lake trout, but also caught Arctic grayling and lake whitefish. We caught a few grayling and whitefish, a good numbers of lake trout between 3 and 8 pounds and many, many pike some up to 40 inches, with a fair number in the thirties.

The lodge has many amenities including a cedar hot tub that is heated with firewood. There are communal flush toilets and showers. The fee includes boats and guide services if needed. We did our own "guiding" as we'd been previously: my second trip and the fourth trip for others.

Edie and Ken and amiable and helpful and run a great lodge. I just can't say enough good things about the food prepared by Edie. She makes great entrees and her desserts were all "from scratch" and delicious.

A great week.

Clive

• Like 7

Thanks.

An old fishing buddy (who passed in 1999) said, "If you want fishing value for money, go North." This was my fourth fishing trip to NWT. In 2014, I fished in the Arctic. Fabulous. (Because it was a late spring [and, yes, the Arctic Ocean was frozen wall to wall in mid July], we missed the char run, but it was a spectacular experience...catching lakers at midnight is a fun time.)

I don't get a commission ( :P:P ), but if you want to catch a TON o' FISH for a half decent price, Hearne Lake is a great destination. Comfortable accommodations, very nice operators and the food to die for. Ken will take you out if need be, but it is straightforward fishing and can be done unguided.

Was weird, after about 4 or 5 days, I had caught enough fish and figured one week was too long. Then when it was time to go home, I could have stayed much longer. I hope to go back in a couple of years.

Clive

• Like 1