Fly Fusion Forums

Upper Bow Float - Bow Falls/canmore

Hello,

Would appreciate any advice or heads up information with anyone with experience and what to expect on a float from bow falls in Banff to Highway1 in Canmore in the month of late June/early July sometime, it would be my first. I will be using a 16 foot fibreglass Drift Boat which I have two years experience with floating the lower bow from Glenmore to McKinnon.

This would be a family pleasure/fishing float. By the sounds of things, fishing will be tough going threw this stretch! I'm more interested in the float it itself through the mountains with my sons.

One of my concerns are the channels I have to navigate through and which channels not to float threw. Going with the channel with the most size and flow of river should keep us safe.

Any information on what kind of fishing to expect throughout our float would also be nice. I understand I will need a park fishing license up to the park gates.

Thank you for any involvement on this subject

Porto

not bad vid but he is VERY confused. Castle mountain is about 30km west of where the float is occuring.

The only real concern is in the area around Harvie Heights where river braids A LOT.

Experience on the lower Bow doesn't really count for much as little skill required. the upper Bow is another story. Narrow channels in places with little extra room. sweepers to be aware of. So you better be a more skilled oarsman than I see on the lower Bow on some days.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread:

so did you make this trip, Porto? I'm interested in making the same journey in my boat, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to have someone familiar with the water along. I'm a competent rower but I have never navigated the upper Bow, and I'd rather err on the side of good judgment.

So, can someone who is a decent rower expect to navigate safely from Banff to Canmore on their first attempt?

Not too sure how difficult the drift is, but my advise is to always attempt to do a first drift of any water with someone who has been there before. I have run into trouble on more than one occasion doing solo trips on water I was unfamiliar with. We all had to do it a first time for sure, but we should all be smart enough not to do it a first time solo and going with someone with knowledge makes it much more enjoyable and productive.

• Like 2

Reviving an old thread:

so did you make this trip, Porto? I'm interested in making the same journey in my boat, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to have someone familiar with the water along. I'm a competent rower but I have never navigated the upper Bow, and I'd rather err on the side of good judgment.

So, can someone who is a decent rower expect to navigate safely from Banff to Canmore on their first attempt?

It is suppose to be 29 degrees here tomorrow a buddy and I are heading that way. With our canoes ( solo ) at 8 am if your interested and think you can keep up.

• Like 2

Reviving an old thread:

No I haven't yet. Just got back from a long family hoilday in Europe. Still hoping to do this float before August end..

It is suppose to be 29 degrees here tomorrow a buddy and I are heading that way. With our canoes ( solo ) at 8 am if your interested and think you can keep up.

Thanks for the offer - I was out camping with my wife over the weekend so I missed your post. Hope you had a good trip.