Fly Fusion Forums

Mclean Creek Bridges

Hi guys,

I was in McLean creek 2 weeks ago near the southern end and found that the province has been busy recently. I found bridges beside most creeks ready to be installed. I also found a lot of off trail bogs have been blocked and filled in with large debris to prevent access.

Many more signs regarding the trail system and to stay on it. More construction is going on now and i can only assume it is more of the same work.

I assume this is similar to the repair work that is happening in waiparous.

I have video that I can get photos from if anyone is interested.

It's part of the Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation program. They were concentrating on McLean last year and Waiparous this year. Hopefully you were in there on a quad because McLean is closed to 4x4s until May 1st.

http://aep.alberta.ca/water/programs-and-services/2013-flood-recovery-programs/backcountry-trail-flood-rehabilitation-program/default.aspx

Yes, I was out checking the conditions. I was there last December and none of the work I saw had been started then. Yes I was on a quad, didn't see any truck but lots of dirt bikes that are not supposed to be there until may 1st. Did not see a single conservation officer, hopefully that will change.

I will try to post a pic of the bridges, they were all the same and did not look like they would support a truck/4x4. The trails I was on were not designated quad only, so that may mean changes are coming?

Going fishing, so will post pics later

With the early melt and warm weather last year there were lots of guys in 4x4s driving around the gates before May 1st. Saw lots of pics of it happening on Instagram. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's happening again this year. Usually snow and ice are enough to keep people away from there because those trails can be deadly if you slide down a hill.

From what I saw at the BTFR meetings there won't be any 4x4 trails converted to quad only. The only closure I remember seeing was the trail that led up to the back side of Elbow Falls but that one was already closed last summer. Flood damage combined with too many people driving past the "No motorized vehicles beyond this point" sign onto the banks of the Elbow or sometimes right into it.