Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Flow Forecasts 2016

15 April 2016

TransAlta released the following Bearspaw Dam outflow forecast this afternoon:

TransAlta will be conducting maintenance on the Bearspaw Dam from April 18-22. This will result in fluctuating water levels on the Bow River.

The work is to repair damage from the 2013 flood - fixing gates and removing debris – means reducing the flow from the dam to keep workers safe, and water levels may be lower as a result.

River users may notice fluctuations in the river levels (between 10 cm to 35 cm) that last between 15 minutes and five hours during daylight hours.

Flows could vary between 100 and 40 CMS in the same day

As future bulletins are received thay will be added.

i took a look at little bow and sunshine snow pack data today. On or below the low average.

Shaping up to be another low water year.

We could still get lots of moisture, but time is running out.

Will also be interesting to see if they draw down ghost as much they did last year. It was basically running its traditional river path. It was the lowest I had ever seen.

I don't understand why Transalta is allowed to do this during spawning season. That stretch of river is closed now for a reason. Once again they get away with doing whatever they want at the expense of the environment. Reminds me of the Spray River disaster a few years ago.

• Like 3

i took a look at little bow and sunshine snow pack data today. On or below the low average.

Shaping up to be another low water year.

We could still get lots of moisture, but time is running out.

Will also be interesting to see if they draw down ghost as much they did last year. It was basically running its traditional river path. It was the lowest I had ever seen.

Wow - big change from a month or two ago where we were looking pretty well avg.

Everyone do their rain/snow dance, mantra, ritual...

Thankfully the forecast is calling for some rain, let's hope the higher elevations get some of the white stuff. Just looked at the snow data, this last couple weeks have kicked off the melt at almost all of the higher elevation data points - in several cases 2-4 weeks before the 25th percentile "early" melt: Sount racehorse, little elbow, sunshine, skoki... Limestone ridge is well ahead of schedule as well, as pointed out by the Alberta fishing mag blog.

i guess that's the upshot of 3 degree temp at time of posting!

BurningChrome:

Look at the first post. TransAlta was increasing and decreasing flows through the Bearspaw Dam from a low of 40 CMS to 100 CMS during the course of a day while they were repairing the flow control gates. The reports I received on Friday would indicate that the work would be completed by the weekend. Therefore the flows out of Bearspaw should return to "normal" for a while.

The pilot project last year to drop Ghost Reservoir in May in anticipation of high run-off will be a part of the Bow River flood mitigation mandate this year and I expect going forward. The discussion we had with TransAlta last summer indicated that Ghost and Bearspaw reservoirs would fill to capacity in 2 to 3 days under a high flow advisory. The only significant hold back of water is by way of the dam system upstream.

Here is today's daily average releases from Ghost and Bearspaw, and the trend for the following 2-3 days.

Please note that system conditions may change quickly due to abnormal and unpredictable rapid local inflow variations.

post-8268-0-40656000-1461619026_thumb.png

It seems like they are following the snow-pack data, which is 3-5 weeks ahead of normal.

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/basins/Map.aspx?Basin=8&DataType=4

I would hope the collective group of engineers/scientists could understand their decisions last year were poor. However, they were conditions that bred a group of honorary steelhead. Maybe shutting down the Bow to angling for August is a good thing.

• Like 3