Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Rivertek 2 Boa...thoughts?

Hello Al

My personal opinion is to avoid the Boa type boots. I have used them and am less than impressed. I do a lot of hiking in my boots and prefer Simms boots with laces. I do not have the need for the boa system or "quick unlacing". is there a rush to get out of your boots??

Thanks

Dean

• Like 1

I'll offer a slightly different opionion! I used the Boa system Simms boots all last season and I really like them. Are they any BETTER than lace-ups...probably not but I don't see a significant downside to them.

Cheers!

Buddy I was fishing with yesterday has the Simms with the BOA system on it. Cable on it broke. Had to walk the rest of the day in the middle of nowhere with a busted lace.

I don't like the BOA system myself because I can't get the laces tight enough around my toes without cutting off the circulation to my foot, so I highly prefer laces. If it breaks, re-lace it. Replacement laces are also a lot less expensive lol

My two bits

I have this same system on a pair of snowboarding boots, and they failed in a season. It would have been a lot easier to just replace laces rather than sending my boots into the manufacturer. Different sport, but I would not go with that lacing system again. It would be nice if it was more reliable because for some reason I hate spending the extra time tying up my wading boots...

Buddy I was fishing with yesterday has the Simms with the BOA system on it. Cable on it broke. Had to walk the rest of the day in the middle of nowhere with a busted lace.

I don't like the BOA system myself because I can't get the laces tight enough around my toes without cutting off the circulation to my foot, so I highly prefer laces. If it breaks, re-lace it. Replacement laces are also a lot less expensive lol

My two bits

I believe the BOA laces are free if you contact them. I had a pair break on my boots, I emailed them and they sent me two free pairs!

BOA will replace parts for free...so I would probably carry an extra in my vest. To me they were the most comfortable of the Simms boots I tried on. Please keep the comments coming..

Much appreciated..

I used the Simms Rivertek Boots with Boa laces for 2 seasons, with 70 days on them the first year and 80 days the second. I also do a lot of kms on most days. They first started breaking down around day 75 (early into second season) and by the end, they were in rough, rough shape. I replaced a set of laces in each, but I had to buy them from a local shop as I didn't realize Simms would replace them for free as some of you are saying. In the end, that many days on a pair of boots isn't bad. I didn't buy them again, but I enjoyed them on my feet and think that would last some guys several seasons.

post-3068-0-05043800-1460247682_thumb.jpg

BOA will replace parts for free...so I would probably carry an extra in my vest. To me they were the most comfortable of the Simms boots I tried on. Please keep the comments coming..

Much appreciated..

Can replace a set of regular laces in a minute or two. In a pinch you can even use mono if a shoelace breaks, but even better is to buy a pair of kevlar laces from Mark's and they'll last as long as the boot does. How long does it take to replace Boa laces streamside and what kind of tools do you need to do it? Any small screws involved that can be dropped and lost in the rocks?

I bought a pair of G4s with the Boa laces when they first came out and experienced the same as others said - couldn't get them tight enough around my toes without cutting off circulation to my feet. After a month I bought a pair of G3 Guide boots and junked the G4s. Expensive lesson but I will never ever buy Boa lace boots again or recommend them to anyone.

• Like 1

BOA is free replacement if you contact them directly but you may buy replacement from Simms .....best way to avoid issues is to pre order free from BOA(lifetime warranty) not Simms before you have an issue .... that being said I prefer laces myself as it takes a little time to replace BOA on the river ..... not that many fail or they would not be so popular in the snowboard world... if you are hard on your gear go with laces

I also have been fishing with Korkers with the boa system. 4 years old and still going strong, think I have a couple of years yet before change up. I'm in my 60's and find it easier to get in and out. Especially after 10+ hrs on-stream and tired. I always liked laces but these have been great. By the way, I also had to wear my laced up boots home a couple of times because of frozen laces so its not just Boas. I think both systems are good, I do like the ability to just push the button and pop em open, instead of unlacing.

I too use the boas, in my snow boarding boots as well as my wading boots. Yes, I've had all the said problems, I've also snapped them a few times and replaced them (probably because I've been fishing about 200+ days a year lately, go figure), but still love them, mainly just as SilverDoc said, after an 8 hr day it's nice to just pop them off. And just like my snow board boots, I like to occasionally adjust them tighter, especially after they've been soaked for a while it's easy to just give them a couple quick turns to tighten. Yea, they might be a pain to replace, but it's not that hard and I always keep a spare boa system in my pouch, downside they're not very cheap. Just my 2 cents

I bought the Rivertek boots , with BOA last spring, and have been very satisfied with them.I contacted BOA right away, and got free replacement laces, just in case.The felt bottoms are great on rocks, but be careful on, grassy slopes, on the way to or from the water.

So far I am very happy with the BOA system, keeps the boots tight, and offers quick adjustment if needed.The drain holes in the bottom of the boot work great, except in muddy bottoms, where they draw a bit of mud in, but, can be flushed out quickly if needed.The boots also dry out quick, and so far seem very durable, and I have put a lot of rough miles on them.I would not hesitate to buy another pair, as they are a great boot, that can also be had, without the BOA system.

I had a thought about the Boa laces. When I bought my boots the 11s were a bit snug and wouldn't fit if I wore heavier socks in the winter. I think a size 11.5 would've fit perfectly but since they only come in full sizes I had to go up to size 12. I wonder if those of us who have problems tightening the Boa laces all had to go up a size or have boots that fit a little big. My G3s are also a size 12 but because of the way you can tighten down a regular lace I don't have any problems with them.

I'll admit, they are comfy and nice to get in an out of. If you're a guy who likes to do minimal walking/hiking and sit in one run on the bow, or in your drift boat. They're great.

Downside... replacement kits. I replaced a set, and the next trip I had the replacement set go. You can't get them tight enough for proper hikes and "real" wading, and when you do get them tight enough, they snap the next time you do a severe bend at the ankle.

One would think that since all the major boot makers, have this BOA system available, that they would have done a very thorough, testing, and evaluation process. I am sure not all users are happy with this system, but enough to keep the BOA system in production.

• Like 1