Fly Fusion Forums

Extremly General Info/new Guy Intro

Hello, Some of you may recognize me from some of the Ontario forums. Right now I am in the semi-retired state and we are looking to finally move here to Alberta, most likely some where along highway 3 between Lethbridge and Crowsnest. I'd much rather be closer to Crowsnest Pass but wifey is a big city girl (Toronto...no ones perfect but don't let her hear that!) So, we've pretty much settled that the Pincher creek area will be O/K for her, now the point and two questions. We've looked into some real estate in Fort Macleod and without any specifics or peoples hot spots...is the Oldman there worth fishing? I've fished it pretty well every where else and know what its like but not there. I've heard various rumours and read some stuff but I've never seen anyone fish it there and we've been coming here 4 to 6 weeks a year for the last 12-15 years. I ask this because I'd like to be able just to walk or have a short drive to get an hour or two of fishing, and I know other places I can do that, is this one of them? Also Fort Macleod looks, well kind of a rough place if you get my drift...is it?

• Like 1

Crowsnest is a great community to live in. Maybe rent a place where ever you decide for a short time before buying to get a real feel of the community.

In order I would say,

1 Crowsnest Pass

2 Pincher

3 Fernie

4 Lethbridge

5 McLeod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. I sure love that Pincher to Burmis area and can hardly wait to get there! The wife actual said," Why don't you buy Vics shop!" Like they said in 'The Movie', "Buster wants to go fishing!" not start a second career

If you can talk your better half into Crowsnest Pass or Pincher, I'd be inclined to go that route. Much closer there to better fishing than Fort Macleod. From what I understand, it has been tried a couple of times to make that stretch of river downstream of Piikani into a sustainable brown trout fishery, without any success.

I can't imagine moving my spouse from TO to small town Alberta and her being happy. We did Lethbridge to Amherst, NS a few years ago (momma weren't happy, and there weren't nobody happy... we moved back 2 years later). Housing will be cheaper in smaller towns that in Lethbridge, but even Lethbridge will pale in comparison to Ontario prices. A few years back there was a little speculative jump in CNP property with rumors of a major resort being built there, but I think that fantasy has run it's course and prices are back down to earth.