Fly Fusion Forums

Mackinnon Boat Launch

Hello,

Just wondering on when MacKinnon opens up? Is it a set date every year, or depending on early spring and conditions. I've heard April 1st and also April 15...

Been out a handful of floats with in city limits and would be nice to keep floating east...

Thanks

Yes.

I am sure by now though, that some self entitled a-hole has probably cut the lock, or fence, and driven down because it's his "right" to access where ever the heck he wants to because he pays his taxes.

Then he will commence to leave his timmies garbage in a pile right beside the garbage can, burn the crapper down on his way out after having caught 10 98" trout using dew worms, because "remember, I paid my taxes"

Guy probably owns a jet boat too....

😜

• Like 1

I don't mind that response, really. But sort of the wrong time/place for it. Fish head went on a rant about how young anglers are a mess yada yada but what biggy is complaining about are those people.

I recently fished the vedder and found the same BS. Tims cups dumped everywhere. Piles of line cut and discarded.

Way too many people out there that obviously had their mummy wipe their bum and clean up after them until they finally left the nest at 30 (only to move back a couple months later).

I was not replying specifically to Bron, and if that is how it was read then I am sorry.

I was more so trying to point out this mistreatment of places like Mac, or the Liv, or most of the river X's in Alberta.

I was also trying to do it in a light joking kinda way which, seems like it went way south. It was not an attack.

I threw in the jet boat comment as a self depreciating joke, as I just bought one, which I am sure I will catch flak for.

Crazy thing is, I was thinking of the closed jet boat thread, and thought to myself man I hope I can be the kind of jet boat owner like Fishhead, seems like he respects the river and other river users.

Hard for intention to come across in a web post.

• Like 3

hey North,

that's like what I saw at glenmore yesterday, probably half a dozen guys launching boats, and ignoring the sign that says stay off the gravel bar to the north of the bridge.

I think if we want access to new boat launches throughout the city, we should respect existing ones, or we as a fly fishing group are just weakening our position.

• Like 1

I'm another one who launched on the north side of the bridge yesterday morning. I did not see the sign either! My Bad...

Last week I launched on southside and noticed everyone launching on the northside, where I was the water was shallow so I thought maybe deeper water on the northside and reason for everyone launching... Live and learn!!

post-8268-0-12692900-1459176265_thumb.jpg

Flywiz and Northfork have hit the nail on the head. When I first started up the conversation on Calgary boat launches it was to see who would respond with what. I can understand that the sign at Glenmore can be missed. A week ago I saw a City truck up north of the sign. When I asked why he had violated his own employer's sign he had the same comment, "did not see it!"

Have a look at the sign at the top of the Glenmore ramp, to the left by the garbage bin. If this was put up at all boat launches, would river users be respectful?

• Like 1

A thought for folks here to consider...

There are plans to complete flood protection works at the intersection of Heritage and Glenmore. That's right -- the Glenmore launch.

Plan's would have a 2-3 m high berm on the wet side of the bike path. Wrapping north and south for a few hundred yards each way. Kinda touch to launch a drift boat... or any other boat you can't shoulder...

Pay attention and get involved (I'm not, but I'm trying). The 17th ave launch disappeared without consultation. How will Glenmore fare?

This is not fear-mongering or troll-baiting. This is real.

Woodfish:

The city has tenders out for engineering proposals to protect the Glenmore/Heritage intersection from future flooding. I have asked the city for an overview of their plans. There will be a stakeholders meeting once the engineer consultants present their finding to the city. Will update when I get something to report.