Fly Fusion Forums

Weight On A New Belly Boat

I am in the market for a new Belly boat that I can pack in to our lakes.

The Fish Cat at 15 lbs are to heavy and I like the Cumberland & Togiak

does any one have any idea the pack weight on these I looked but no one seems to list it ?

Thanks Paul

• 2 weeks later...

These are the lightest I have come across, except on the pocket book. :)http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com/index.html I am getting tempted as weight matters and some nice lakes can be tough to fly fish from shore. Nothing more relaxing than float tubing a high mountain lake in the summer.

Thanks but I am a little sceptical . There are no pics showing it in use head on. I have used boats like these before with no supporting cross beam. I found that they collapse in when you put our weight in them. I see no reason why these would not do the same .

Yes that's true. There is a front facing picture with a guy in the water in one and it does close up about 6" by the look of it. They look like they are made with a flare out to accommodate some of that. Also it looks like your legs are half in the water as well. I found that on the Trinity that it was sketchier than my Water Skeeter but the weight savings at 7 lbs compared to 23 lbs made the hike a breeze. What I didn't like about it was the small valves that made getting the air out quite time consuming. The water skeeter has the boston valves so air out and folded up is about 1 minute if you push on it. I can fish all day in my water skeeter in great comfort and stability. I also use a piece of 1 1/2" styrofoam on the seat in the cold water so only below my knees is in the water. I would imagine that any of these light weight jobs will sacrifice some comfort and stability for the weight savings. But if you want to do some 1 hr plus hikes with waders, gear, food and water then something like this will get you there.

http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com/backpacker-pro-wilderness-photos.html

I am currently looking to replace a Older TU Kennebec float tube That was perfect for clipping to a 45 lt pack. So I never had to deflate it in the 12+ yrs I had. But the intake valves I think are leaking. Yes it was not as comfy as my old Still Water. But worked well.

Thanks for the replies it just convinced myself to go with what works for you.

This guy was really on to something as that was his quest, ultra light weight packable float tube, fins and even waders. His goal was to get it all under 3 lbs and he came really close. Unfortunately he passed after a bout with cancer and only having made a few boats for sale. Being an engineer and a fussy detail oriented person, he was able to overcome many of the problems with the ultra lights. The designs and craftsmanship look really good and I'm sure by now the comfort issues would have been addressed. We need someone to carry on this torch. Anyway, the thread is a good read for whenever you have the time and just shows the future possibilities. I will hunt around again to see if anything new has shown up on other sites or even ali express. For my old bones, it's either something like this or the helicopter trips. :)

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project

Have the trinity its really a great boat for this purpose. Has backpack straps so you can inflate at the truck and then walk it in. (Sold separately about 35 bucks) not cheap but best you can get for this pupose. Properly inflated, they do not collapse, has a big chunk of high density foam that keeps the ends apart. Even had it rigged up with a fishin buddy fish finder. Your butt is still in the water just a hair but much more comfortable than a belly boat.