Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Access In The City Of Calgary

Stupid lazy people drive out and leave there *hit everywear it's stupid and disrespectful to other river users.Now look what the bull did they tryed to block off everybody from using the ramp.If your that frigging lazy you can't walk 50 dam yards to the river then stay the hell on your couch and leave the outdoors to the respectful people who want to use it.I live in Lynwood and will call every single time I see a jack ass parked there it pisses me off.

• Like 2

Considering the number of drift-boaters that seemed that they just HAD to get in that rip-rap bank upstream of the bridge and went way upstream to launch every morning.... we reap what we sow.. Hope this makes a few people realize just how temporary all these launches are, and we should have a bit more respect for what is provided to us

It really is easy enough walking the boat upstream to get to the rising fish opposite the launch...

I'd love to see a string of concrete blocks just downstream of the launch area at Mackinnon as well to keep out the hillbilly brigade down there.

• Like 3

What about a single layer of rip-rap laid flat underneath the bridge. That would make it all-but impossible to drive upstream without impeding navigation. Granted, it wouldn't withstand a flood, but few things would.

I tend to be with Bron on this one, that there's been an overblown reaction to the use of an exposed gravel bar of large cobble that grows only weeds. People throwing garbage is never good, but one sees garbage on the Bow wherever one goes, sadly, and blocking people from this patch of gravel won't stop those same people from littering at all the other places they go. Nor will it stop litter from floating in from upstream, nor youthful cyclists from chucking their empty Big Gulps beside the bike path. The rest of us pick up litter in whatever locations we happen to launch.

That gravel in high water, moves downstream and donates spawning gravel into the system. If you've looked at that bar since the last two years of low water, it is virtually concrete from the number of vehicles that have been on it. That gravel also has had redds on it in the fall in the in previous years. It's not inconsequential

It also sets a precedent. If it's allowed here, why not just do it anywhere?

Simply put, it is illegal to be on that bar unless you're launching a watercraft with a tired vehicle. If people can't have a brain in an extremely high visible location, then what are they doing down at Mac or Policemens. Hell, this makes the access groups job a lot harder, as they have to be able to indicate that this same issue won't happen elsewhere.

• Like 1

That gravel bar is trying to recover. Sure, there are weeds there but there are also other grasses, sedges, willows, and little poplars trying to make a go of it. Rivers/gravel bars move around, erode, deposit, revegetate continuously.

Bcube's right. There is serious compaction from the vehicles. And nevermind whether it's worth the big stink being made, it is illegal to drive up and down that bar. We know trucks have been taking rips out into the river too.

Riprap under the bridge would be a good idea. Could be anchored in. You'd think a nice big sign would do the trick but some people have selective vision.

Hoping for a reasonable solution.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I was talking about this issue with a colleague of mine. She asked if an education campaign would be effective to inform people of why they shouldn't drive on a gravel bar. I told her that it is a nice idea, but it would largely be ineffective. These are folks that ignore signs and drive around barriers that are clearly there for a reason. Can we really expect these folks being receptive to "better education"? The only action that may have an impact is enforcement. Write them tickets, threaten to seize vehicles. Anything else will be largely ineffective.

• Like 4

I promised myself that I would not wade into this subject. But it is important to realize that the problem of access is not just related to Graves Bridge Ramp. The following is a list of trailered boat access points within Calgary that were accessible to the public a few years back.

Baker Park, Bowness Park, Shouldice Park, Eau Clare, Calgary Zoo, Cushing Bridge, Ogden Road, Graves Bridge, Quarry Park (new in 2014), Douglassdale / Enmax and Fish Creek that is a provincial park.

Only Fish Creek is accessible within Calgary and that is for access downstream of the city. Policeman's Flats and MacKinnon's Flats are subject to the same closure logic as Graves Bridge. Both of which are controlled by the Lands Branch of AEP. Only Legacy Island, that the province leased to the Bow River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada and Carsland, a provincial park are currently secure access points.

What does this say for the state of the fishery? I would suggest that we need to take our rose coloured glasses off as it relates to idealistic stands on the issues of environmental impact, fish habitat and look at the bigger picture of retaining access to a world recognized fishery. To ridicule those individuals who choose not to conform to our own beliefs is hypocritical since when we drive across any gravel bar to launch a boat we are doing just as much harm to the environment as the less informed.

• Like 3

Damage to the riparian habitat on the gravel bar is very minimal compared to the harm millions of dollars of rip rap being dumped into the river is causing. Mismanagement of the dams is also causing major harm to the fishery. Pick a worthy cause and keep it in perspective.

• Like 1

I promised myself that I would not wade into this subject. But it is important to realize that the problem of access is not just related to Graves Bridge Ramp. The following is a list of trailered boat access points within Calgary that were accessible to the public a few years back.

Baker Park, Bowness Park, Shouldice Park, Eau Clare, Calgary Zoo, Cushing Bridge, Ogden Road, Graves Bridge, Quarry Park (new in 2014), Douglassdale / Enmax and Fish Creek that is a provincial park.

Only Fish Creek is accessible within Calgary and that is for access downstream of the city. Policeman's Flats and MacKinnon's Flats are subject to the same closure logic as Graves Bridge. Both of which are controlled by the Lands Branch of AEP. Only Legacy Island, that the province leased to the Bow River Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada and Carsland, a provincial park are currently secure access points.

What does this say for the state of the fishery? I would suggest that we need to take our rose coloured glasses off as it relates to idealistic stands on the issues of environmental impact, fish habitat and look at the bigger picture of retaining access to a world recognized fishery. To ridicule those individuals who choose not to conform to our own beliefs is hypocritical since when we drive across any gravel bar to launch a boat we are doing just as much harm to the environment as the less informed.

Well said.

That said, there are times hypocrisy is called for. C&R fishing is a huge example. Protest fish populations so we can exploit them. Yes I beat up the bank to launch my boat - in moderation... I don't have gravel bar fires, park my car, 4x4 exhibitions. A time and place for everything, and I think there is a line some are unaware of where those who are on the know can qualify idiots from responsible users..

Access and maintaining a healthy ecosystem don't have to be mutually exclusive. I think most here just want to see the impact minimized.

Zipper:

Be careful criticizing the dame system upstream of Calgary. No dams - insufficient water in the winter to maintain a trout population

Wasn't there enough water in the winter to maintain a trout population before the dams were built? Aren't there other rivers that do just fine maintaining fish populations without dams?

Just a small update:

Contrary to my previous update, it doesn't sound like there are immediate plans to remove the barriers. Some flood mitigation work was planned just upstream, and the game plan was for Graves to be closed during that period. This event may accelerate some of those plans.

I'm still finding the closure without consultation a bit concerning. I'll keep following up with The City folks to see what happens next.

Update.

To all out fellow river users:

See the attached photo illustrating that the 2 concrete Lego blocks have been moved apart to allow for vehicle access to the gravel bar.

In addition, the attached Press Release together with the following statement was sent out to Calgary’s media this morning.

Although the fishing community now has access to the Graves Bridge boat ramp, we need to realize that this is not an end to the boat ramp access issue in the city. Construction of a flood barrier along Heritage Drive will certainly restrict access at Graves Bridge during the construction next year. Hopefully CRUA can negotiate continued access to Grave Bridge boat ramp by stakeholder participation in the design.

A lot of time has been put into the Graves Bridge closure by all stakeholders for river access. It now is the time for individual fishermen, guides, outfitters and the general public to take a leadership role as a river user by using respect for the river access point. If abuse of vehicle access at this site continues we can expect a quick return to ramp closure.

What is the next step? CRUA to working on a presentation to city council to establish a “Calgary Public River Access Strategy”. CRUA member organizations are also working their communication line to support.

There is a need to keep an open mind as we move forward.

Regards:

Peter Crowe-Swords

Calgary River Users Alliance

Cel: 403 680-8320

Email: daritek@shaw.ca

For Immediate Release,

Calgary River Users Association, Alberta Whitewater Association and Paddle Alberta oppose the City of Calgary’s closure of the Graves Bridge boat launch for fly-fishing driftboats and the restriction of canoe/kayak groups to use Bowness Park to teach fundamental paddling skills.

The City of Calgary website shows only 7 locations on the Bow or Elbow Rivers where Calgarians can access the water legally. Now they are closing the only public boat launch for trailered boats in the city and one of the most important educational sites for teaching canoeing and kayaking to groups.

The City of Calgary Bylaw 20m2003 restricts Calgarians from accessing any waterway in Calgary without the direct permission of the Director of Parks. This includes wading, swimming or launching a raft/canoe/kayak. This is a violation of Calgarians federal navigation rights and freedoms. In a World Class City with a World Class River that Calgarians love, why is the City reducing the number of places to get onto the river ?

See attached New Release for further information.

Chuck Lee

Executive Director, Alberta Whitewater Association

403-628-2336 admin@albertawhitewater.ca

www.albertawhitewater.ca

Celebrating 5 decades of Whitewater Kayaking in Alberta

• Like 1