Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Access In The City Of Calgary

I was down by the 17th Ave ramp and the gate was open and unlocked, in fact it looked like it was locked open. Don't know if this was because the boat patrol was on the river but I didn't see any vehicle parked with a trailer anywhere. Which as far as I can tell would be an issue there, because when the development was built the parking area was removed.

Hmmm, interesting!!

I was down by the 17th Ave ramp and the gate was open and unlocked, in fact it looked like it was locked open. Don't know if this was because the boat patrol was on the river but I didn't see any vehicle parked with a trailer anywhere. Which as far as I can tell would be an issue there, because when the development was built the parking area was removed.

Cusing Bridge / 17 Ave SE:

There is more room on the approach road to the boat ramp than what was available before the condos were built. It would be possible to park temporary by the condo, but that will probably not be possible once Harvie Passage redevelopment starts. The access gate/barricade is on condo property. The old access point off the road has been blocked off, presumably by the condo developer. It should be reopened with longer term parking in Pearce Estate Park parking lot.

This whole area will become a part of the new regional park called "Bend in the Bow" that stretches from Inglewood Bird Sanctuary to Pearce Estate Park. The city is well aware of the need to include boat access in the design. Stakeholder meeting have been held with a final design presentation in May.

As I have said previously, expect some movement on the boat access issue before the end of April.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

apparently according to "paddle alberta society" facebook page they said "Calgary Parks is working on having the barriers removed today. the uproar from the paddling community not being able to do rafting programs with school children was a bit of an issue with them there".

my reply was "why doesn't the paddle community make some rafting programs through the upper city so they open up the other fully functional launches"

maybe we can use this to jumpstart a push to get the other launches open

ill bet even if the city doesn't remove these in a timely manner, they will be rearranged in no time

• Like 1

River Watch finally found out that the Parks Department installed the barrier responding to concerns expressed by a number of local residents for the protection of exposed gravel bar.

The Parks Department was first approached by member of the local fishing community last summer to take action to prevent access upstream of Grave Bridge. Nothing was done at that time, but signage was installed in the spring of this year at the bottom of the ramp restricting vehicle access upstream of Grave Bridge.

Very few people took any notice of the sign!

Therefore I was not surprised to see further restriction put in place. The barriers are expected to be removed today, but this will probably not be the end of the debate.

A string of concrete barrier slabs lined up from the bottom of the upstream edge of the ramp projecting out to the river's edge would be the best solution.

Access upstream of Graves Bridge would be restricted and fishing boats access would be assured.

• Like 2

Update for you folks:

The barriers were put in place at the request of the area Councillors office. They had been getting SIGNIFICANT complaints from area residents about vehicles being parked on the gravel bar. They recommended that parks put barriers in place.

The office was contacted by the River Float folks that asked the barriers be removed as it was detrimental to their use. River Float had been out on the river yesterday and were unable to get a truck down to pick up the rafts with the barrier in place.
The barriers will be removed later today. I have had a conversation with that particular office to inform them of the impact restricting access would also have on the fishing community that are responsibly using the river.

I know the knee-jerk reaction will be to get angry at the area Councillor's office. I'd advise against this. I spend everyday here at City Hall, and I would suggest there isn't a single member of Council that would have a real understanding of the impact restricting access has on our guiding community. I think there is a responsibility to provide some better education and show our elected officials that restricting access has an impact on the well being of these folks and also has an economic impact on Calgary. Working with groups like Tourism Calgary or Calgary Economic Development could open the door for a better understanding of the impact better access has from a dollars and cents perspective.

The Councillor's office does want to see the parking issues addressed on the gravel bar, but they aren't sure what the best solution might be. I'll work with them to find a workable solution that is fair for responsible users, but also keeps vehicles off the bank.
If you want more info, shoot me a quick direct message.

• Like 3

Glad to hear those concrete lock blocks will be temporarily removed.

A long term solution is still needed --- or we're going to lose this boat launch in the next year or so for other reasons.

A flood barrier (dyke and concrete wall system) will be built between the bike path and the river to protect Heritage Drive and a portion of Deerfoot. Those plans currently make no allowance for vehicle access at Graves.

I expect that a flood gate will be built at the Burnco/driving range entrance. Flood gates are expensive. If there is enough noise, hopefully they commit to a flood gate at Graves.

Mayor Nenshi - "REMOVE THE BARRICADE"

The barricade on the Graves Bridge Boat Ramp is but one of a number of access points on the Bow River that are at risk of closure, MacKinnon's Flats Policeman's Flats are in the firing line for closure for the same reasons as the Graves Bridge closure. That is, too much river bottom damage in inappropriate locations.

If a Graves Bridge barricade had been placed from the upstream edge of the boat ramp to the waters edge would everyone be satisfied? But it may well be the best option.

If you wish to follow what action is being taken by river users interest groups, go the Bow River Trout Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/Bow-River-Trout-1760046364207842

• Like 1

Question? Who are the "residents" in the area? Car dealerships and industrial businesses? They must have a lot of lobbying influence!!

Area residents from Riverbend and Lynwood/Ogden call in all the time. There are a number of houses in both communities that have front row seats to the nonsense that takes place there.

Considering the number of drift-boaters that seemed that they just HAD to get in that rip-rap bank upstream of the bridge and went way upstream to launch every morning.... we reap what we sow.. Hope this makes a few people realize just how temporary all these launches are, and we should have a bit more respect for what is provided to us

• Like 1

Considering the number of drift-boaters that seemed that they just HAD to get in that rip-rap bank upstream of the bridge and went way upstream to launch every morning.... we reap what we sow.. Hope this makes a few people realize just how temporary all these launches are, and we should have a bit more respect for what is provided to us

The guys who went around the barricade to launch also positively reeks of entitlement. Yeah, the barricades going in suck but driving around them, on the pathway, and down the riprap doesn't paint us in the best light.
  • Like 3

Pretty big stink made over one 1000 foot gravel bar in the middle of a major city.

People need to relax and realize it is what it is.

What are the ecological impacts of driving over cobble? "Maybe" less plant life? Well, It floods every year.

This isn't soft earth that gets stirred up and introduces sediment into the stream every time someone is in the area. It's orange/grapefruit sized stones and larger.

Oh by the way, Who was this caller complaining of people on the bar? Eh, jpinkster? Ha ha

Just teasing-- but still I think everyone is getting way too worked up about cars on this stable bar/on a dam-controlled/major/metropolitan River.

The guys who went around the barricade to launch also positively reeks of entitlement. Yeah, the barricades going in suck but driving around them, on the pathway, and down the riprap doesn't paint us in the best light.

Critical point here. Ignoring the barricades and the signage just makes a stronger case that access should be restricted further.

• Like 3