Fly Fusion Forums

Rooster Fish

mikeo2

In Mexico (north of PV (Punta de Mita/Sayulita) I can give the name of an AMAZING guide (search for my post on this). Roosters specifically, depend on time of year (for the best chance). I had 1 chance at a Rooster but didn't hook-up. But we caught a lot of other fish that made for the best guided trip EVER!! Nicaragua (I will post my report as soon as I get back to reality) was a bust - On the Pacific, we found only one charter that even knew what fly fishing was (two twin brothers from California - have only taken one person out before - they were SOOOOOOOOO expensive it wasn't worth it). We hired a panga for the day ($120) but it was so rough I couldn't stand to cast. The guys that took us out, looked at me as if I was from another planet... That being said, even trolling with bait they didn't catch anything (I guess the water has been abnormally warm recently).

Nonetheless, depending on the time of year you plan on traveling, and your budget will dictate where you want to go.

I'm actually headed down in 2 weeks time to San Jose Del Cabo. Research shows it's not the ideal time of year to fish for them, but as others have said, they're always present but not in big numbers. The surf in front of my hotel is quite big, and you can't swim there so I'll be forced to try in the early am or late evening from the beach hopefully when the waves die down a bit. Failing that I'll charter a panga for the day while the wife is at the spa.. will likely book through Gordo Banks pangas. I'll post upon my return.