Fly Fusion Forums

Need A Guide For Mexico

bloom

I will be in the Akumal area (Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an...between Playa del Carmen and Tulum) during the end of March and beginning of April. It's a vacation with the wife but I'm looking at getting a guide for a day or two of flats fishing. I've checked out some of the larger operations (ie. Pesca Maya) and the rates are $570 a day US (which is about $830 Canadian right now)

Any recommendations on some less expensive operations in the area? I won't have a car.

If anyone is in the area at the same time, I'd be more than happy to hook up for the day to share a guide.

try to get down to ascension bay, maybe rent a car to cut the costs. I seen a lot of waders when I went out there. the exchange rate hurts but what can ya do, definitely nice to float and fish. I was just in cancun for 8 days and belize for 4. I did two full days around isla blanca and its mangroves, one day at ascension bay. then another 2 full guided days in belize. im poor now. but it was worth it and ill do it again anyday

FWIW I hired a guide from the Boca Paila Lodge. Guide was good and enjoyable trip - caught bonefish but no big ones. Had shots at Permit but all refused. Forget what it cost but was in USD. Actually shared a guide with a person from this board one day and went back myself another day - called ahead and negotiated a reduced rate as there were a LOT of boats that didn't leave the dock on the first day. I believe you need to call and discuss rates as it being a lodge all the published rates are for accommodations and fishing.

BTW the road to the lodge was awful but that's going back to oh *hit 2004 now that I think about it. perhaps my post should be ignored.

I had more fun on the cozumel flats than ascension. It's a quick ferry ride over from PDC. Look up Nacho w/ bonefish cozumel. His son Nacho Jr took me out. Got me in to tons of fish. Baby tarpon on poppers, bonefish, and even saw a couple permit. The road to ascension takes forever and is bumpy as hell.