Fly Fusion Forums

Who Else's Vacation Plans Are Kiboshed Because Of $Cad?

I know its a #firstworldproblem, but man, trying to get away for some sun, salt, and bonefish et al just sucks right now. The exchange is just super duper craptacular.

Having to re-think my whole spring break trip, costs just keep piling up. I have guys at Slipstream Angling, YellowDog, and Fish Tales help me price out trips. Just keeps going up. And it sucks, I tell you it sucks, to be a travelling solo angler!!!

Anyways, just ranting aloud at the rotten state of Denmark.

May have to just go with a Redtag vacation or Escapes all inlcusive flight+hotel+food, and then just on the side do my best at a DIY self-guided fishing option. Or hire a guide for just one or 2 days. Do you guys like Pesca Maya?

I think between Cuba, Belize, and Mexico, Mexico is far and away the best bet for bang for your buck. Oh, and trying to get to Cuba from Edmonton or Belize is...trying, lol. :)

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers in advance

Smitty

P.S. Hell maybe I should just go to the Island again; I am already set up for Steelhead from last year. And no exchange rate problems. I could also just drive to Montana; still a bad exchange rate, but lots of early spring specials for lodges, and no flying costs.

I went to Pesca Maya once and wasn't overly impressed.

Are you set on a time for your trip? If you're willing to wait until summer, why not go north and target pike on the fly? It's a crazy rush!

You also mentioned being a solo angler. While some lodges will charge a premium for being there on your own, there are many who won't, so shop around.

• Like 1

Don - I've got 30 (or 31, depending if I can sleep the night before) sleeps as well...

I'm heading down on the 14th to the North Island. Planning on heading down to the Hawkes Bay / Te Urewera area in a campervan for most of the trip (2 weeks). Shoot me a message if you are going to be down that way and want to do some spotting and stalking :)

• Like 1

If you do a little research there are still some reasonable all in packages available at some DIY areas in the Caribbean in Canuck dollars with minimal expenditures once you arrive... of course you must be competent on your own on the flats....google map is your friend!

since catching the Steelhead bug last year all my time and $$ are saved for my return.

Before going last year i had been able to fish with a couple of guys who have been all over the world and fished many of the premium destinations. I have asked both, out of everywhere they have been where if they had to pick one place would they return to, both with out hesitation said BC Steelhead and Alaska are a tie. I know its different strokes for different folks but it says a lot. We don't have to go very far to have a world class experience.

• Like 1

Florida Keys? Hawaii? Bahamas?

Flights to Houston are super cheap right now. Maybe you can find a deal out of there. And flights to Key West seem to be good right now but that would be a TO flight. Look at YYC to Houston, Houston to Key West. Might cost a bit more but you might save on a hotel in TO.

I was thinking of hitting Kauai again but on my own. The bones are big and don't swim in schools but if you know what you are doing you might do okay and there are a couple local guides around. Also they have trout and bass on the island. It would be more of a hang and chill trip with some fishing added in. Flights are not overly bad and using AirBnB you can find some decent lodging. Also car rentals are cheap if you use www.discounthawaiicarrentals.com

Good luck

Christ. I know its a #firstworldproblem, but man, trying to get away for some sun, salt, and bonefish et al just sucks right now. The exchange is just super duper craptacular.

Having to re-think my whole spring break trip, costs just keep piling up. I have guys at Slipstream Angling, YellowDog, and Fish Tales help me price out trips. Just keeps going up. And it sucks, I tell you it sucks, to be a travelling solo angler!!!

Anyways, just ranting aloud at the rotten state of Denmark.

May have to just go with a Redtag vacation or Escapes all inlcusive flight+hotel+food, and then just on the side do my best at a DIY self-guided fishing option. Or hire a guide for just one or 2 days. Do you guys like Pesca Maya?

I think between Cuba, Belize, and Mexico, Mexico is far and away the best bet for bang for your buck. Oh, and trying to get to Cuba from Edmonton or Belize is...trying, lol. :)

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers in advance

Smitty

P.S. Hell maybe I should just go to the Island again; I am already set up for Steelhead from last year. And no exchange rate problems. I could also just drive to Montana; still a bad exchange rate, but lots of early spring specials for lodges, and no flying costs.

What is your budget?

I had a zen experience this past summer fly fishing for pike in northern Saskatchewan. I had one epic day of 30+ fish, of which 4 were over the 15lb mark. I did this all on my own---it took me about 7 days fishing on my own to figure out which patterns worked, where the fish were holding, and retrieve rates. With a guide or a little local knowledge, I think it would be easy to have a week of absolutely epic fishing.

As an aside, for most of the lakes where big pike hold, there is a super healthy population of walleye that can be ethically harvested. Super delicious. A light weight spinning set up with a couple rapala and/or jigs will allow a double dip. In the spring, I caught equal amounts of walleye and pike on the fly. In the fall, I only caught pike on the fly, but on average, most of the pike were much, much bigger.

As well, I know it is really close to home, but Northern Saskatchewan is stunningly beautiful. it is such a stark contrast to the grasslands south of Saskatoon. Canoeing around the lake, I encountered lots of wildlife. Curious otters would follow me around. Ospreys and eagles live healthy lives on the bountiful fish. Thankfully, the bears are not very curious but seem to have a penchant for gas cans and oil containers.

since catching the Steelhead bug last year all my time and $$ are saved for my return.

Before going last year i had been able to fish with a couple of guys who have been all over the world and fished many of the premium destinations. I have asked both, out of everywhere they have been where if they had to pick one place would they return to, both with out hesitation said BC Steelhead and Alaska are a tie. I know its different strokes for different folks but it says a lot. We don't have to go very far to have a world class experience.

Completely agree. Yeah, you have to buy a non-resident license, CW tags, etc. but at least you're still paying for them in Canadian dollars. There are even direct flights from Calgary to Terrace on WestJet now if you don't want to do the 18 hour drive.

Thanks for the replies. I'm really interested in the salt, and somewhere warm, plus the Mayan ruins thing. Budget was trying to be around 5K CDN, but that's now pretty unrealistic for a trip like the hosted Fish Tales, or any lodge with daily guided fishing for 5 to 6 days. Cause you have to add a flight on top of that. So, more realistically, is to just find an all inclusive and meet my budget.

SilverDoctor, sorry to hear. There's a lot of pain in Alberta right now.

You know, you guys make a great point; as much as I desire to do the southern salt thing, this country has just so much to offer. It's just so vast, I don't have enough lifetimes to fish Canada, let alone do international fishing. Just gotta pick and choose. Now, let's not mistake ourselves, not much flyfishing to be had right now in the interior, and I'm getting familiar with the Island; does Terrace have good spring fishing late March? To be honest, I'm thinking of saving my great Canadian trip for the summer and do the Yukon thing.

Anyways, I'm keen to try bonefish and tarpon. Permit too. So, gonna keep hammering away, maybe increase the budget, and figure out something.

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. :)

Cheers,

Mike

Florida Keys? Hawaii? Bahamas?

Flights to Houston are super cheap right now. Maybe you can find a deal out of there. And flights to Key West seem to be good right now but that would be a TO flight. Look at YYC to Houston, Houston to Key West. Might cost a bit more but you might save on a hotel in TO.

I was thinking of hitting Kauai again but on my own. The bones are big and don't swim in schools but if you know what you are doing you might do okay and there are a couple local guides around. Also they have trout and bass on the island. It would be more of a hang and chill trip with some fishing added in. Flights are not overly bad and using AirBnB you can find some decent lodging. Also car rentals are cheap if you use www.discounthawaiicarrentals.com

Good luck

Appreciate the suggestions, but I hear Florida has way more pressured fish and isn't necessarily kind to saltwater newbies. Doesn't the same hold for the Bahamas? I think Mexico and Belize are friendlier options, price and package wise. I'd love to go to Hawaii, but again, are there a lot of flats and options for the saltwater flyfisher? Both destinations have the major disadvantage of being US dollar places (yeah, I know Belize is too) and my feeling tells me that it would take a heck of a package to be price competitive on the flight+hotel+food+fishing to be competitive. And they generally don't do all-inclusives like Cuba and Mexico. Plus, no ruins... :)

But the right priced Hawaii trip could be worth looking into...

Cheers.

Smitty

5 grand would go a long way in Mexico with the odd day of guided...

Don't forget though that most places outside of Canada are going to be charging US dollars, like the rental cars in Cancun, and most of the hotels..

Skip the all inclusives and head to Tulum, get the odd day trip and try and do it yourself after. You'll do it way cheaper then 5k.. Hell, could probably get a solid 5 days of guided fishing as well if you want to hit the budget on the nose...

Most 'big name' guide places are American owned, and charge USD. Try and find a cheap guy in Tulum..

• Like 1

Freestone. That is a crime. $700 should get you a day on a $300K boat with prof fishing captain. With fuel costs where they are, even that is a bit of a rip off.

Pack your gear and head to the dock bright and early. Bring a hundred dollar bill with you. Chat to some guys. I almost guarantee you'll spend the day fishing or line something up for another day.

I've had big days in pangas out of San Jose for $290 plus tip. $1000cdn is definitely more than enough budget for a days fishing on the Baja... Check out Gordo Banks Pangas and ask to go out with Tony Miranda. Roosters, Dorado, Tuna, Yellowtail, Jack Crevelle, Sierras, Wahoo, and if you have a big stick- Striped Marlin. Most of these species can be caught in the same day and all on the fly (season dependent although most of these can be caught year round). Tony isn't a fly guide but he knows where/when to find fish that are accessible for fly anglers and he's a great dude.

• Like 2

I'm getting married this year. Our game plan is to head to Playa Del Carman for our honeymoon in September. Our plans really aren't going to change much, so I just hope the blow can be softened a bit between now and then.

In regards to fishing....

I would HIGHLY recommend a sturgeon fishing trip on the Fraser. You can pretty easily make a weekend out of it and it won't crush your wallet. We did a two day trip in September. I paid for my flight to Abbotsford on points, but if you include accommodations, guides, tips booze and foot I spent less than $800.

We used Cascade Fishing Adventures. They don't do the shameless promoting that outfits like Sturgeon Slayer do, but you might get your best bang for your buck out of these guys. The outfit has been fishing sturgeon on the Fraser for over 25 years. Sturgeon fishing is one of those things ever angler needs to get out and try at least once...I was smiling from ear to ear the entire time.

http://www.cascadefishingadventures.com/

I'm including a shameless picture because I can.

10952234_10153008534421261_7759655733483

• Like 2

I've had big days in pangas out of San Jose for $290 plus tip. $1000cdn is definitely more than enough budget for a days fishing on the Baja... Check out Gordo Banks Pangas and ask to go out with Tony Miranda. Roosters, Dorado, Tuna, Yellowtail, Jack Crevelle, Sierras, Wahoo, and if you have a big stick- Striped Marlin. Most of these species can be caught in the same day and all on the fly (season dependent although most of these can be caught year round). Tony isn't a fly guide but he knows where/when to find fish that are accessible for fly anglers and he's a great dude.

Thanks for this info. Going down next month and will try to set something up with these guys. Bring your own gear ? I've sent an e-mail off asking if they have FF gear. Reading his recent fishing reports, the action isn't great, but as expected.

My lady informed me last week we aren't going to do Cuba this year, with her on PAT leave and the dollar, it just isn't going to happen. We were looking for options and I got fairly lucky realizing we can pick up my new jet boat in Qualicum Beach and stay on the island for the cost I was quoted to ship the boat to Calgary.

You could save some real cash and head to Manitoba and fish the trophy lakes on the cheap staying in a hotel in Robin.

• Like 2