Fly Fusion Forums

A Bunch From Last Year

Guest ArtVandelay

Guest ArtVandelay

Greetings everyone. I hope the holidays treated you well. I thought I'd post a bunch of pictures from last year to kickstart my 2016 season. I hope you enjoy.

The first few are from northeast of Strathmore - the Wintering Hills, I think it's called:

From Crawling Valley:

Cloud Monster!

A couple of wintery ones:

• Like 3

Guest ArtVandelay

More...

Dead Horse Lake by the little hamlet of Hussar east of Strathmore:

Great Grey:

Canola season:

North of Airdrie:

• Like 4

Guest ArtVandelay

The next batch is from down around Police Outpost. It is an understatement to say that it's beautiful down there in the fall...I've never seen such a deep yellow colour on fall leaves.

And finally my favourite series from 2015. This happened right in front of me at Police Outpost, with all the camera and lens settings correct and me pointed in the right direction. I was lucky to get these. I have a few more from the sequence I'll post sometime later maybe.

• Like 5

Super nice pictures! I am new at photography and still learning. I wonder if you could share what settings you typically use for the action or moving shots? I am learning as i go and taking lots of pictures, which is guiding in my overall learning. I would aspire to have the talent you obviously do, any advice you could share would certainly be appreciated!

Regards

Ralph

Nice shots there Neil! I'm really digging the one during Fall with the huge range of yellows from those trees, with that mountain looming in the background.

Your shots of the eagle are very sharp and crisp as well which is a must when shooting birds & wildlife!

Hit me up if you want to go shooting sometime!

Guest ArtVandelay

Thanks so much everyone, much appreciated. Cgyguy, for action shots, like birds in flight, I would say the most important thing is to attain as high a shutter speed as possible. Also, I'm not sure what kind of camera you have, but if you're tracking subjects, like you would with action shots, AI Servo is the best focus mode (that's what Canon calls it). I almost always have my camera in aperture priority mode, then I boost the ISO until I get what I estimate to be a high enough shutter speed. Open your lens as wide as possible. For my telephoto lens thats f5.6 at 300mm. There are other ways to accomplish this though, like shutter priority and auto ISO. The eagle shots were at 1/4000s, ISO 640 and f5.6.

Redbeard, the victim here is an American Coot, not exactly a small bird. What you see in these pictures is the second pass. He killed it on the first pass but didn't pick it up. I think that was intentional. Here's a really bad photo before the bloodshed. This would have been the best of the bunch, in my opinion, but it's out of focus and poorly composed, unfortunately:

Buck, we'll get out for sure sometime soon. I love winter photography and I just bought a new tripod and head - I'm rarin' to go!

Here's another one from Police Outpost:

• Like 3