Fly Fusion Forums

Thinking Of Going To Cuba, Belize; Saltwater Setups?

Hey guys:

I notice that Fish Tales is offering trips to Cuba, and one of the dates works perfect for spring break. So I'm considering the trip, anyone have any comments about this hosted trip with Terry? Naturally, one of the things giving me pause is our weak dollar, not much I can do about that though.

Also, after doing a fair amount of research, I have decided upon an 8 and 10 weight outfit for my saltwater fishing (bones, permit, baby tarpon, snook etc). Does anyone want to convince me to change that? Say a 7 weight and 10? 8 and 11?

Any advice is muchly appreciated!

Mike

If you're going to go on a hosted trip, use the resources that are provided for you. Ask them questions! 8 and 10 or 7 and 9 depending on ability

Be sure to ask how the food and accommodations are. Some of the Cuban ones are a little less then impressive and you better love eating fish

Terry is a great host for these trips as is Fishtales. Very organized and Terry has been there plenty of times and even speaks Spanish.

I would stick with the 8 and 10. A 6 or 7 wt is a luxury when no wind present which is rare when salt fishing. An 11 is for GT's or 100 lb plus Tarpon.

Also big difference between rods which will allow a lot more flexibility.

Example a TFO BVK 8wt which is light and casts like a cannon but weak for lifting power vs. a TFO TiCrx 8wt. Heavier, still casts like a cannon but you can catch Bones to Tarpon on it. It is built tough and needs to be overlined.

My absolute favorite rod in my quiver is my Sage Xi3 9wt. It almost cast's itself.

Book the trip as you only live once.

How the hell do you get to Cuba? Aside from practice, practice, practice?

I am NOT paying Air Canada $1800!

Looking at WestJet of course, but what the heck? Takes 2 days to get to Cuba?

Not looking good in terms of matching the trip dates with my spring break with the available flights.

Appreciate any suggestions...

Should I just fly to Miami or Houston and take a flight from there? But the US doesn't fly to Cuba, right? Or did Obama's "let's normalize relations with Cuba" decree open things up? Should I fly to Mexico? Or just stick with Canadian Airlines...

Cheers,

Smitty