Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Staff ?

In the end any staff can be a good staff, can't count the times in my youth I used a sturdy stick. Old ski poles can be quite serviceable. Don't forget you fishing buddy. Locking arm in arm or arms over shoulders can provide a steady 4 legged base with combined stability for safety. Gramps last outing was at a spry 101. Very unsteady but with the above arm over shoulder technique he crossed a small BC stream with confidence. and spent a day out fishing me.

In addition be sure to use common sense, look for a good crossing, know when and where not to cross, cross angling downstream. Be conscious of your safe depth and water speed. I've been swept away a couple of times, (not counting quick dips), always when I put my better judgment or staff aside.

Keep safe out there

• Like 2

Broken Simms wading staff--Free to anyone who wants it.

Took a spill on a wet slippery streamside grassy bank on the Deschutes R. this October. Top section of the staff broke in two near the locking eyelet hole that is close to the top of the staff. The lower 3 or 4 folding portions are OK. Possible that someone with welding skills might be able to repair it. It comes with a sheath, but not with the retractor and clip which I have transferred to a new staff that I purchased in the US.

Let me know if you want it. I can leave it at my workplace for pick up.

• Like 1

Broken Simms wading staff--Free to anyone who wants it.

Took a spill on a wet slippery streamside grassy bank on the Deschutes R. this October. Top section of the staff broke in two near the locking eyelet hole that is close to the top of the staff. The lower 3 or 4 folding portions are OK. Possible that someone with welding skills might be able to repair it. It comes with a sheath, but not with the retractor and clip which I have transferred to a new staff that I purchased in the US.

Let me know if you want it. I can leave it at my workplace for pick up.

pm sent