Fly Fusion Forums

Big-Fly Fly Boxes

CDone

So started my pike fly tying early this winter and realized after tying a dozen or so articulated flies that i don't have any boxes to keep them in. Does anyone have any suggestions for applicable boxes? Preferably something that will keep the flies from getting all tangled (one of my pet peeves with the boxes I have now and using craft fur/fox fur ) and fit in my sling bag.

Thanks

Colin

I saw in a magazine where a guy made big fly containers from pvc or pex pipe. Cut them to size and put on end caps. Seems like a neat idea but I have never tried it myself.

I store mine in hardbait/crank bait boxes, wholesale has a bunch of different sizes. Boxes that I use store up to a dozen pike flies from 4-8", usually I pack two per compartment. Keeps shape well on deer hair.

I've made a few from leftover air nailer boxes. These are the cases the guns came in..

I scuffed the inside up with a wire wheel and then glued foam in each side.

Result was a small suitcase that was maybe 3 1/2" to 4 " thick and could hold a ton of big pike flies.

I hang the flies in the foam so the heads point towards the handle so when I pick it up they don't mix up.

Works very well.

You can find the boxes on kijijji or I'm sure I have a left over one I can donate.

I've made a few from leftover air nailer boxes. These are the cases the guns came in.. I scuffed the inside up with a wire wheel and then glued foam in each side. Result was a small suitcase that was maybe 3 1/2" to 4 " thick and could hold a ton of big pike flies. I hang the flies in the foam so the heads point towards the handle so when I pick it up they don't mix up. Works very well. You can find the boxes on kijijji or I'm sure I have a left over one I can donate.

Thanks Dave, really looking for something that will fit in my sling bag though, as most of my pike fishing tends to be walk and wade.

I currently have some GLoomis compartment fly boxes that I put all my Intruder/Hobo/Tubflies in for steelheading, guess thats always an option but I don't like the way they tangle if you have more than one fly per compartment.

Guess i should have mentioned that I'm also tying tube flies for pike so the slotted foam boxes won't work for them. Googling around today and I came across some guys using leader wallets, so i guess thats an option as well.

Colin

You should look at the bait fishers section in most tackle shops ie jig boxes.I took a box,a dremel[shaved off all the compartments.Went to Michel's ,p'kd up some 1/4" foam.Foam glue. I got the idea via you tube..It was called the Frugal Fly Box.Mine is a four sided box.Any more info.pm. you e address,i'll send you pictures.total cost was $ 20.00

• Like 1

Pretty well all my big bugs (steelhead tubes) go in small plastic bags that I can seal tight. Usually can get 6 or so in a bag. Sealing tight with removing the air keeps them in good shape, regardless if I cram them into my waders. Same idea as the leader wallet. Since they're tubes, don't have to worry about the hook wrecking the bag, or rusting out.

Typically I carry a dozen of these bags, inside a small fly box to stop me from losing them. Has completely changed how I carry bugs. Way less hassle. Bag of flies, bag of hooks and 15lb maxima in my wader pockets. Extra stuff stay in my bag or backpack

For pike, they all just get hucked into a large compartment box that fits in my sling.

• Like 1