Fly Fusion Forums

I Need New Wading Boots!

My 2 pairs of Cloudveil wading boots have worn out so over the winter I will be researching, then purchasing new wading boots for next season. I fish exclusively on the freestone rivers around the Oldman. I have only worn felt soles but I'm open to change if you think a rubber sole might be better for these rivers. I don't scramble around very much nor walk very far.

I would prefer a lighter weight boot as that is what I'm used too.

Any suggestions? Please indicate the make and model. Thanks!! I appreciate your input.

• Like 1

Al,

I have Patagonia Ultra Light wading boots with rubber soles and only use them with studs. Let me say that the rubber with studs has NEVER felt as safe/secure as when I used felt soles!! For the Oldman drainage go with felt! They do make the Ultra lights with felts and I would definitely recommend the Patagonia boots as they fit my foot WAY better then Simms or Korkers. I had the original Korker Guide boots and REALLY liked them with the BOA system. LOVED the changeable soles! To bad the last few incarnations have WAY too much volume for me!

I really like the Simm's freestone's. I was going through 2 pairs of boots a year but have bought these twice in a row here (managed 1.5 years on the first pair and they are still pretty solid, but need new soles, sitting at 1 season on the second and they still look like new). I found Korkers, chota's, and the orvis boots to be poor with weak stitching in comparison to the simm's, they are well designed to hold together if you do lots of walking/ end up in mud from time to time.

• Like 1

I would say go Simms. I've had my freestones for 3 years now. From day 1 I added cleats to them and they have lasted well over 450 fishy days in 3 years not just from parking lot to the banks of bow but long hikes. They are still going.

Last year bought the g3's only because I needed a boot without cleats for my boat. immediately noticed the nice support that they offer. I've gone on 25 drifts and about 5 hike and wades and they honestly look brand new still.

I may be biased because I 'm a Simms guy but I feel their quality is second to none.

• Like 2

Uberfly....here's the kind of luck I have. I saw the Patagonia Lights on sale for 1/2 price from an online Canadian retailer in my size. I waited a few days and they were gone...dammit!! A local flyshop sells both the Simms vapour as well as the Patagonia Ultra light and recommended the Vapour......decisions ...decisions!!

Still wearing my Korkers Chrome's, 3rd season and looks like they might make it through one more. Studded felt has given me great traction (I did my own studs). I believe I may go with Simms for the next round if my budget is there. I liked the Bola laces but I find that now the black inserts are starting to move out with the cables so I have to push them all back in place before every trip now (just happened this year). I'll go back to laces. I think I would be leaning towards the G3 Guides next. Been hearing some negative things about the Vapors as far as durability. Its always a tough decision with the price of equipment now.

I have Patagonia river walkers (discontinued) that have treated me well. Super light, EASY to get into, and have held up to 3 years of fishing, however I am not hard on gear.

My next boots will be Patagonia foot tractors. I haven't read anything overly positive on the new tacky rubber, Felt is ok but I still slip a lot wading the bow, the aluminum bars seem like they would offer the best traction but have a weight penalty.

Roast,

As a FYI, general feedback on the Foot Tractors is that they are SUPER heavy!

P

I have Patagonia river walkers (discontinued) that have treated me well. Super light, EASY to get into, and have held up to 3 years of fishing, however I am not hard on gear. My next boots will be Patagonia foot tractors. I haven't read anything overly positive on the new tacky rubber, Felt is ok but I still slip a lot wading the bow, the aluminum bars seem like they would offer the best traction but have a weight penalty.

Gotta say, I have the Patagonia predecessor to the foot tractors, and they only come out at very specific times (e.g., the Thompson). They are way too heavy to hike with daily, and also brutal for walking on wet grass or, even worse, on a stripped log.

I am on my third pair of the Guide Boots from Simms.. I'll stick with them.

I have the now discontinued Patagonia Rock Grips (the studded version before they went to the bars). Seemed pretty awesome in the store for comfort, and even for the first couple of short outings last fall. Then this spring I started having sharp pains at the back of my lower leg just below the top of the boot after only a couple of hours on the water... store I bought them from said they never heard of this happening to anyone else and suggested I consider an insole. I now use an insole in them, which raises the back of my foot a tiny bit, and, voila, no more pain. They are quite stiff, but seem well constructed. The newer Ultralight Patagucci stuff seems considerably lighter, but still look and feel pretty robust. Haven't laid eyes on the Tractors yet, so can't comment on them.

I wore the Vapor boots with Vibram soles all summer, but as a wet wading boot on the Bow, Crow, Oldman, Liv, and various tribs. Never had a problem with traction on any of those streams. With waders I wear the G3 Guide boots and like bcube I plan on sticking with them. Tried the G4s with the Boa laces and rapidly learned that I hate that lacing system, so went back to the G3s.

Roast,

As a FYI, general feedback on the Foot Tractors is that they are SUPER heavy!

P

Gotta say, I have the Patagonia predecessor to the foot tractors, and they only come out at very specific times (e.g., the Thompson). They are way too heavy to hike with daily, and also brutal for walking on wet grass or, even worse, on a stripped log.I am on my third pair of the Guide Boots from Simms.. I'll stick with them.

Great feedback, I will stay tuned to this thread.

I'm about to have my G3 felts resoled for the 3rd time. They are three years old and still in great shape. Tough, comfy, very well made, perhaps the most durable boot out there. They are somewhat on the heavy side in a size 12 and a little clunky due to the wide foot print.

I own a pair of freestones that need a sole replacement, on one of the boot need the midsole replaced, uppers are in perfect shape. Got a quote from a Simm certified cobbler in Van $98 to do the repair. Ouch, $40.00 more I can buy a new pair. Any good cobbler in Calgary.

• Like 1

I guess I should have put a disclaimer, they're heavy, and not great for hiking, but they are by far the best boots I've had for grip. above and beyond others

I have the Patogoochie aluminum bar boots as well and I don't really notice the extra weight. What I do notice though is I don't even think about where or what I am walking on any more as the traction is by far better then anything else I have tried. Spent a day on the Wiggie this past summer and they were awesome! If buying for freestone river use I would highly recommend them!

Alpine Shoe down in Kensington, not sure what the turn around will be now that Gary is semi retired...

I own a pair of freestones that need a sole replacement, on one of the boot need the midsole replaced, uppers are in perfect shape. Got a quote from a Simm certified cobbler in Van $98 to do the repair. Ouch, $40.00 more I can buy a new pair. Any good cobbler in Calgary.

• Like 1

If you have a narrower foot, Korkers are good. I have a wide foot and I love my simms riversheds with hardbite star cleats but they aren't particularly light. I find the rubber soles with cleats actually seem to grip better for me in freestone streams than felt used to.