Fly Fusion Forums

Springbank Reservoir

Ive got a flood plan for you, Don't build your house on a river.

I would put money on this thing getting used every year and totally abused, because of fear. Look at the level they had the dams at during June for no reason but fear.

I'm not sure this will have a huge impact on migratory trout species in all honesty. Glenmore Reservoir is about 20km downstream, and it isn't like fish from the Bow can get up the Glenmore dam anyways. It looks like fish should be able to easily pass through the gates. My concern is what happens when the off-stream reservoir is drained. There will be fish that end up in the reservoir that could get stuck in standing water left behind once the water drains back into the river.

Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp5Rut8CrmU

You're quite possibly right Jpinkster. As long as the diversion weir is kept open there shouldn't be much problem for migration. Heck, those fish may even just spawn right in the elbow(??). As you mention, the biggest problem will be stranding fish once they open the gates at the diversion reservoir. Should the weir ever be set permanently, it would block migration paths to the spawning creeks (Canyon, McLean, Silvester, etc.).

This proposal is much better for our trout friends than the McLean Creek reservoir, which I believe would be a permanent dam, correct?

The elbow river is the melting pot of historical stocking culture mixing with native populations in our province; brooks, bulls, cutts, rainbows, browns and whitefish. Hank Patterson could almost have caught one of his cutty-rain-brown's in the Elbow were it not for cross-breeding incompatibility haha.

• Like 1

The elbow river is the melting pot of historical stocking culture mixing with native populations in our province; brooks, bulls, cutts, rainbows, browns and whitefish. Hank Patterson could almost have caught one of his cutty-rain-brown's in the Elbow were it not for cross-breeding incompatibility haha.

Those cutty-rain-browns don't stand a chance against the brookbows.

Does this not mean it will also be a dual purpose offline storage reservoir? Similar to Pine Coulee on Willow Creek? I like it as it is not on public land, it would have been a shame to see more of our public lands in the east slopes lost. There will be negative impacts but it sounds like they are determined to do something and this may be the least offensive option on the table. I do feel for the landowners but I'd still rather see it there than on our public forestry lands. I'd sure like to see more detailed plans, have to be patient I guess.

Does this not mean it will also be a dual purpose offline storage reservoir? Similar to Pine Coulee on Willow Creek? I like it as it is not on public land, it would have been a shame to see more of our public lands in the east slopes lost. There will be negative impacts but it sounds like they are determined to do something and this may be the least offensive option on the table. I do feel for the landowners but I'd still rather see it there than on our public forestry lands. I'd sure like to see more detailed plans, have to be patient I guess.

Looks like you're not alone.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/scientist-calls-springbank-the-least-worst-option-for-flood-mitigation

Do recall that the holding dam may only be used for 100 year floods. Every <> 100 years, the land will be underwater. Till then, the dam , if operated correctly, could provide Calgary with a park within biking distance of the city. And the best part, the park will not have ski hills or ice cream stands. A true wild land park.

Now, the danger will be if the land doesn't flood often enough, people will attempt to move onto it.

Do recall Ralphie relaxed the "flood plain" rules.

Don