Fly Fusion Forums

2X Vs 3X On Bow

CanuckCamper

I know this wasn't a very well controlled science experiment, but I fished the Bow a week ago Saturday (Sunny and 20) and only had 4X leader that after I lost a couple of hot fish that insta snapped me off I cut it back and tied some 3X tippet on. Another beaut snapped me off right on the take before I got a chunky fish to the net.

I picked up some 2X leader and tippet this week and pontooned the same stretch of water on Friday (coudy and 13) with 5 fish to the net but nothing over 16. My rig was 2X mono leader, 2X floro tippet to the first fly, 3x floro t the second fly.

My suspicion was that 2X was too heavy and that is why I didn't catch any big ones this time.

Any thoughts on 2X vs 3X for Bow River nymphing.

Thanks in advance.

Ive been using 4x my entire season on the bow this year and it has been working perfectly. Sure a few snap offs here and there but it never really came to me to go bigger. I may give 3x ago and see how it does, but 2x is a bit much to me.

Give your setup with 2x more time on the river before you start deciding and asking if it is whats wrong with not catching any big fish. It could have very easily just been an off day for the larger fish which resulted in the smaller ones getting all the offerings. If you fish several more times and still no big fish then yes it may be that the 2x line is too big.

But then again i really don't know, this is just my first year fishing the bow so im defiantly not an expert or anything. Just my opinion.

I've been running 3 x fluorocarbon since mid September and have had no issue hooking and landing big fish and lots of them ;). I was using 4 x poly prior to that and have not really noticed a reduction in hook ups. I'm not sure I would go to 2x in clear water (others would) for my nymph rig but it sure is nice to have the extra pound test when you hook into those bow river beasts!

You can get by with heavier tippet on the Bow but we found on the smaller more heavily fished waters during lower clear conditions, we where using 6x on tiny dries to fool the cagey fish. The other thing when you are fishing small dry's for example #18 - the eyes on some brands will not accept large Tippet.

• Like 1